Friday, March 21, 2014

Elks'-Wyandot's "Long Goodbye"- The Saga of a Lost Donald Ross Classic

                                    Chapter  14:  Fun  Times!                                       

Top-  the  25  Wyandot  players  who  participated  in   the  "Great  Relay  Race;"  left -  Johnny  Florio  driving  off  1;  right-  Mrs  Thurston  Emmons  putting  out  on  9; bottom  left-  Glen  Bishop  holes  final  putt  on  18;  bottom  right-  Tom  Dempsey's  automobile  careens  around  a  bunker  to   deliver  Mrs.  Emmons  to   the  ninth  green.

As  he  had  done  hundreds  of  times,  Johnny  Florio  eyed  his  impending   tee  shot  on  Wyandot's  rather   claustrophobic  first  hole.  The 403  yard  par  4  presented  such  a  severe  dogleg  left  that  a  hitter  of  Johnny's  length  would  normally  club  down  to  a  spoon  (3  wood)  or  cleek  (four  wood)  to  keep  from  driving  through  the  fairway  into  the  trees  on  the  right.   Wyandot's  professional  Francis  Marzolf,  the  man  who  had  selected  Johnny  to  find  the  fairway  on  the  course's  scariest   tee  shot,  looked  on  with  full  confidence  he  had  made  the  correct  choice.  After  all,  Johnny  Florio  had  been  the  victor  in  the   1932  Ohio  Amateur  championship  the  previous  summer  at  Akron's  Portage  Country  Club. 
Johnny  Florio  receives  the  1932  Ohio  Amateur  championship  trophy           

In  order  to  save  every  millisecond,  Marzolf  instructed  Johnny   to  start  his  backswing   the  moment  that  official  timer  George  Trautman  (and  Columbus  Redbirds  baseball  team  president)  gave  the  signal  that  the  "Great  Relay  Race"  was  underway.  Francis  had  organized  what  was  sure  to  be  a   chaotic   relay  race  in  order  to  publicize  the  club,  and  hopefully  attract  some  new  members.  How  fast  could  a  round  of  golf  be  played  by  25  of  the  club's  members  by  positioning  them  so  there   would  always  be  someone  ready  to  strike  the  next  shot  the  moment  the   previous  one  came  to  rest?  Once  a  golfer  played  the  shot,  he  (or  she  would  be  hustled  by  automobile  to  play  another   shot  on  a  subsequent  hole.  The  ball  was  to  be  relayed  in  this  fashion  from  shot-to-shot  and  hole-to-hole.  In  masterminding  this  melee,  Francis  figured  that  in  addition  to  playing  speedily,  his  golfers  needed  to  play  well.  Time  wasted  searching  for  balls  in  the  woods  would   doom  the  relay  team's  effort.   Thus,  he  would  station  his  best  players  like  Johnny,  Glen  Bishop,  Mrs.  Thornton  Emmons,  and  southpaw  state  champ  E.G.  Livesay  in  position  to  hit  the  treacherous  shots  where   misses   would  be  the  most  time-costly.

So  when  George  Trautman  hit  the  stopwatch  and  yelled,  "Go!"  Johnny  Florio  swung  into  action.  However,  at  the  top  of  Johnny's  backswing,  the  game  plan,  so  carefully  thought  out  by  Marzolf,  went  awry.  Sportswriter  Lew  Byrer  had  been  delegated  the  task  of  firing  a  shot  to  alert  the  other  relay  team  members  that  the  race  had  begun.  Unaccountably,  he  pulled  the  trigger  in   Florio's  mid-swing,  and  the  resounding  discharge  caused  Johnny  to  flinch  thereby  snipe-hooking  his  ball  deep  into  the  woods.  With  the  clock  ticking,  Johnny  had  no  choice  but  to  re-tee.  This  effort  was  better,  but  a  precious  20  seconds  or  so  had  been  irretrievably lost. 

The  second  hole  featured  an  even  worse  comedy  of  errors.  1930  state  amateur  champion  Glen  Bishop  pushed  his  drive  badly  into  the  ravine.  Thornton  Emmons,  poised  to  hit  the  second  shot,  mistakenly   thought   that  the  ball  had  entered  the  ravine  close  to  the  tee,  so  he  began  sprinting  back  toward  Bishop.  Glen,  realizing  that  Thornton  was  confused,  began    running  to  where  be  believed  the  ball  had  disappeared.  In  their  mutual  anxiety,  the  two  actually  passed  each  other.  Emmons  finally  found  the  ball,  and  hurriedly  made  a  poor  shot  just  50  yards  ahead.    Fortunately,  the  miss  stopped  right  at  Bishop's  feet  from  where  he  remarkably  hit  his  driver  (still  in  his  hand)  off  the  deck   to  the  edge  of  the  green.   Another  mix-up   occurred  on  the  fourth  hole  when  nobody  showed  up  to  hit  the  second  shot.  Bishop,  riding  by  en  route  to  the  fifth  tee,  jumped  out  of  a  car  driven  by  Tom  Dempsey,   and  played  a  fine  spoon  to  the  green,  With  Bishop  now  unavailable,  Dempsey  sped  to  the  5th  tee   with  only  his  putter  in  tow.  After  Mrs.  Emmons  holed  out  on  4,  Tom  improvised  brilliantly  by  smashing  his  "putt"  170  yards  down  the  5th  fairway. 

From  there,  all  proceeded  more  or  less  according  to  plan  until  the  10th  tee.  Livesay  was  late  in  arriving,  so  L.W.  St.  John,  Ohio  State  University's  athletic   director  (and  the  namesake  for  OSU's  St.  John  Arena),  grabbed  a  brassie  and  smacked  a  great  shot  down  the  middle. 

Lynn  St.  John-  Ohio  State  Athletic  Director        

 Briefly,  the  team  got  on  a  roll;  Don  Dutcher  rolled  home  a  15  foot  birdie  putt  on  12,  and  Bill  Hinchman  chipped  in  for  another  bird  on  13.  Whether  it  was  the  blood  rushing  to  his   head  after  that  sensational  chip,  his  mad  dash  to  the  14th   tee,  or  the  fact  that  the  pro  Francis  Marzolf  was  impatiently  waiting  to  play  the  next  shot  (hopefully  a  putt),   Hinchman  made  a  mess  of  things  by  promptly  dumping  two  balls  in  the  water  on  the  short  picturesque  par  3.  Then  on  15,  Mrs.  Emmons  putted  the  ball  before  it  had  stopped  rolling,  resulting  in  a  four- putt.  One  final  snafu  involving  the  club's  two  best  players  closed  the  round.  Florio's  second  shot  on  the  home  hole  finished  off  to  the  right,  and  behind  Dempsey's  automobile  which  had  brought  Bishop  to  the  green  ostensibly  to  hole  the  final  putt. Now  in  full  Keystone  Cops  panic mode,  Bishop  struck  his  pitch  before  Dempsey  had  cleared  the  car  from  the  path  of  the  shot.  The  ball  banged  into  the  vehicle  and  was  hanging  on   the  running  board  as  Dempsey  was  driving   away.  It  finally  dropped  off,  and   Glen  ultimately  holed  out  in  7.  Whew! 

Despite  several  hilarious  miscues,  the  Wyandot  players  had  established  a  new  relay  world  record,  having  completed  the  circuit  in  20  minutes  and  41  seconds,  and  carding  a  credible  89  in  the  process  (according  to  the  internet,  the  current  golf  relay  world  record   is  in  the  neighborhood  of  8  minutes).  This  madcap  event   made  the  first  page  of  The  Citizen's  sports  page  on  July  23,  1933,  and  was  widely  reported  outside  Ohio. 

The  club  devised   other  thoughtful  ways  of  furthering  camaraderie  among  the members  and  enriching  the   golfing  experience.  Members  living  in  Delaware  formed  a  team  to  play  competitive  matches  against  residents  of  other  surrounding  communities.  Another  brainstorm   involved  a  match  between  the  two  sides  of   the  men's  locker  room  with  the  losing  side  buying  dinner.  Wyandot's  treasurer,  Bill  Margraf,  inaugurated   a  third  new  event-  the  "Board  of  Directors'  72  Hole  Medal  Play  Handicap  Tournament,"  designed  to  encourage  more  members  to  play  in  competition.   It  was  contested  over  four  successive  weekends.  The  entrants  were  given  the  choice  of  playing  their  tournament  round  either   Saturday  or  Sunday  of  each  weekend,  provided  they   designate   in  advance  which  day's  round  was  to  count  as  the  tournament  score. 

Margraf  did  not  have  far  to  travel  when  visiting   the  club.  His  home   was  located  adjacent  to  the  third  fairway.  It  seems  that  Bill  must  have  been  engaged  in  a  golf  course  romance because  he  married  one  of  the  club's  female  members  and  best  players,   Chester  Skees.  They  formed  a  formidable  duo  in  the  mixed  competitions.  The  Margrafs  once   teamed  to  shoot  a  gross  score  of  74  in  the  alternate  shot  format.   Bill,  a  single  digit  handicapper,  also  contributed  to  Wyandot's  men's  team's  ongoing  success  in  interclub  completion.   His  service  on  the  board  was  also  of  great  benefit   to  the  club.   He  was  a  confidant  of  the   Kaufmans,  having  managed  a   Marble  Cliff  Quarry  division  for  a  number  of  years.  Bill  ultimately   made  a  career  in  golf.  He  served  with  distinction  for  20  years  as   the  executive   secretary  of  the  Ohio  Golf  Association,  responsible  for  organizing  the  important  statewide  events.  As  a  posthumous   tribute  to  Margraf  and  his  wife,  the  local  Columbus  District  Golf  Association  conducted  a  mixed  event  called  "The  Margraf"  for  many  years.


'54  Ohio  Amateur
Arnold  Palmer  (center)
Bill  Margraf  (right)

But  Bill  Margraf's  greatest  contribution  to  Wyandot  lore  was  his  pleasing   singing  voice.  Teamed  with   friends  Stark  Frambes,  Jr.  and  Pat  Crowe,  Bill  headed  up  an  unforgettable   musical  trio  at  the  "19th  hole."  Given  the  picture  Russ Needham  of  the  Dispatch  painted  of  the  post-round  Wyandot  locker  room,  it  could  have  passed  for  the  set  of  a  Hollywood  musical!:                                                                                                                  

"Crowe  played  the  guitar,  Frambes  the  uke  or  mandolin,  Margraf  could  sing  tenor,  baritone,  or  bass  as  the  occasion  demanded.  In  from  a  round  of  golf,  they'd  start, "I  Want  a  Girl," "Down  By  the  Old  Mill  Stream," "When  You  Were  a  Tulip,"  "There's  a  Long  Long  Trail and  all  the  others  each  got  their  evening  workout.  Those  who  were  in  the  locker  room  before  joined  in,  and  so  did  the  others  as  filed  in  off  the  course.  Some  might  be  in  the  showers,  others  shaving,  but  the  songs  went  on.  It  was  one  huge  choral  society."  

Like  Bill  Margraf,  former  South   High  coach   Herb  Bash  also  made  his  living  in  the  golf  industry.  Herb  and  his  wife  owned  the  Berwick  Golf  Course,  a  public  facility  located   on  the  city's  southeast  side.  Herb  helped  grow  the  game  at  Berwick  by  conducting  numerous  golf  clinics  for  the  city's  youths.  Shortly  after  joining  The  Elks'  in  1928,  Bash,  in  partnership  with  Bugs  Raymond,  opened  another  golf  course- Indian  Springs,  opposite  Henderson  Road  on  the  east  side  of  High  Street.  Herb  later  added  the  "Bash  Driving  Range"  in  Dublin  to  his  collection   of  entrepreneurial  golf  activities.  Like  many  of  his  compatriots  at  Elks'-Wyandot,  Herb  Bash  could  golf  his  ball.  Prior  to  joining  The  Elks',  he  won   Dublin  Road's  club  championship.  Herb  was  also  a  mainstay  of  the  1932  Wyandot  golf  team  which  won  the  inter-club  championship.                                                                                                                  

There  were  a  myriad  of  competitive  outlets  for  Wyandot's  better  players  in  the  30's.  The  Columbus  Citizen's  Private  Golf  League,  established  in  1936,  featured  inter-club  matches  every  third  Sunday.  The  eight-man  teams  haled  from  Scioto,  York,  Brookside,  Columbus, Granville,  and  Wyandot. The  Citizen  awarded  a  trophy  each  year  to  the  league's  champion.  The  Columbus  Golf  League  provided  another  battleground  for  good  club   players. The  KingTaste  Products  team  was  a  perennial  champion. Johnny  Florio  was  one  of  the  league's  all-stars.

In  1932,   Wyandot  served  as  the  home  course  for  the  Ohio  State  Buckeyes.  OSU's  athletic  director,  Lynn  St. John,  a  valued  Wyandot  member, was  instrumental  in  orchestrating  this  arrangement.   St.  John  also  named  Francis  Marzolf  the  team's  coach  that  year,  succeeding  George  Sargent.  Johnny  Florio,  now  23  was  still  a   varsity  player,  so  Wyandot  members  were  provided  an  opportunity  to  cheer  their  favorite  son  in  Western  Conference  action.  Unfortunately,  depleted  finances  forced  OSU  to  temporarily  suspend  the  golf  teams'  activities  in  1933,  and  the  golf  team  drifted  away  from  the  club.

Coach  Francis  Marzolf  (2nd  from  left)  with  the  1932  Ohio  State  golf  team.  Bob  Kepler  (3rd  from  right)  and  Johnny  Florio  (far  right)  join  him.          

Not  every  member  was  a  star  golfer.  Cy  Watkins  was  perhaps  more  typical.  Cy  had  no  time  for  golf  as  a  young  man,   having  been  immersed  in  building  his  business,  The  Watkins  Printing  Company.    In  his  40's,  Cy's  business  interests  had  progressed  to  the  point  where  he  finally  could  afford  some  leisure  time.  He  took  up  golf,  enjoyed  it,  and  joined  Wyandot.  However,  Cy  started  golfing  a  little  too  late  in  life  to  develop  into  a  first-class  player.  The  same  could  not  be  said  for  his  teen-age  son  Dwight.  The  young  boy  took  full  advantage  of   the  opportunity  the  course  provided,  playing  and  caddying  whenever  possible.   After Wyandot  closed  down,  both  father  and  son  joined  Brookside.  Son  Dwight  raised  his  game  to  a  level  good  enough  to  win  Brookside's  club  championship!  At  age  88,  Dwight  still  consistently  shoots  under  his  age.  When  he  outdistances  his  far  younger  opponents  off  the  tee,  he  invariably  turns  to   them  smiling,   and  facetiously  remarks,  "Great  Drive!"  Dwight  has  nothing  but  fond  recollections  about  Wyandot.  "It  was  a  special  place,  full  of  beauty,  and  loads  of  golfing  challenge."    

When  the  members  finished  their  appointed  rounds,  they  found  other  diversions  at  the  club. With  prohibition  ending  in  1933,  the  bar  officially  opened  for  the  first  time. And  to  paraphrase  Claude  Rains  character  in  "Casablanca,"  you  are  probably  not  "shocked  to  learn  that  gambling  was  going  on"  at  Wyandot.  Ellen  Marzolf  Hallerman  recalls  two  slot  machine  across  from  the  bar.  Ellen  still  remembers  the  time  her  father  Francis  gave  her  and  brother  Frank  nickels  to  try  their luck. 

Sometimes,   higher  stakes  were  played  for.  Legend  has  it  that  a  lucky  member  won  enough  cash  shooting  craps  one  night  at  the  club  that  it  enabled  him   to  buy  a  new  sedan!  With  improvements  to  the  facilities,  the  club  also  became  a  hot  spot  for  fraternity  and  sorority  functions  and  dances  when  those  organizations  were  looking  for  an  off-campus  venue  to  hold  events.

The  guys  enjoying  the  Wyandot  grill    

     Yes,  Wyandot  was  a  hoppin'  place  in  the  30's.  With  the  country  still  emerging  from  the  depression,  country  clubs   had  to  tighten  their  belts,  and  Wyandot  was  no  exception.  But  the  members  did  not  let  enforced  frugality  stand  in  the  way  of  a  good  time. Despite  the  gathering  of  storm  clouds  in  Europe,  most  folks  stateside  retained   an  optimistic  view  of   the future.  And  while  Wyandot  may  not  have  possessed  quite  the  social  standing  of  Scioto  or  Columbus,  it  definitely  had  its  own  charm.  Wyandot   was  the  fun  place  to  be! 

Acknowledgements:  archives  of  the  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library,  Columbus  Memory. Scripps-Howard  Newspaper/Grandview  Heights  Public  Library/  collection;     Tom  Marzolf;  Ellen  Marzolf  Hellerman;  Dwight  Watkins;  Betty  Huber;  archives  of  Columbus  Citizen  and  Columbus  Dispatch  all  of  which  are  housed  at  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library. 

Next   Chapter  15:  "The  Pro's  Pro"    



No comments:

Post a Comment