Friday, May 30, 2014

Elks'-Wyandot's "Long Goodbye"- The Saga of a Lost Donald Ross Classic



Chapter  18  Showdown!



Mayor  James  Rhodes   
 

On  January  29, 1949,  Mayor  Rhodes  authored  a  letter  addressed  to  Dr.  Thomas  C.  Holy,  head  of  the  "Commission  for  New  Residential  Schools  for  the  Blind  and  Deaf "  (the  "building  commission").  Rhodes  urged   Dr.  Holy  to  take  steps  to  have  the  building  commission  revisit  its  decision  to  locate  the  deaf  and  blind  schools  on  the  Wyandot  course,  and  consider  building   the  facilities  elsewhere.  In  making  his  pitch,  the mayor  extolled  the  virtues  of  Wyandot,  and  its  importance  in  meeting  the  needs  of  the  city's  municipal  golfers.  "This [Wyandot] is  one  of  the  finest  golf  courses  in  this  section  of  the  United  States,"  Rhodes  wrote. "It  is  vitally  needed  by  the  people  of  metropolitan  Columbus  as  a  municipal  golf  course.  It  has  long  been  our  dream  that  such  a  golf  course  might  be  added  to  our  parks  and  playground  system."  Rhodes  further  extended  an  offer  on  behalf  of  the  City   to  buy  the  Wyandot  property  from  the  State  for  $100,000-  the  same  price  the  State  had  paid  the  Glen  Burn  Partnership  for  the  property  in  1944.  Realizing  that  his  plea  would  have  no  chance  of  success  unless  a  suitable  alternative  location  for   the  schools  could  be  expeditiously  found,  the  mayor  advised  Dr.  Holy  that  he  would  do  whatever  he  could  to  help  the  building  commission  find  a  new  site  for  the  schools.  Rhodes  copied  the  state  representatives  from  Franklin  County  with  this  letter.  He  was  to  later  assert  that  he  did  so  at  the  behest  of   attorney  Dale  Stump,  counsel  for  the  Ohio  Federation  of  Organizations  of  the  Deaf  ("OFOD").  Stump's  involvement  was  later  to  be  the  subject  of  controversy.
 
  Holy  responded  that  the  building  commission  would  be  willing  to  "discuss  a   trade"  of  the  Wyandot  site,  But  since  it  was  the  Holy  led  building  commission  that  had  initially  picked  the  Wyandot  site  for  the  schools'  location  five  years previously,  he  and  his  fellow  commission  members  were  far  from  eager  to  restart  the  entire  process.  Moreover,  Rhodes's  $100,000  offer  was  probably  perceived  as  a   lowball  one.  Recent  real  estate  appraisals  had  established  the  value  of  the  property  at  $300,000  to  $350,000.  Furthermore,  the  building  commission  had  already  spent  roughly  $230,000  for  site- specific  engineering  and  architectural  plans  and  drawings  which  would  be  money  down  the  drain  if  the  building  commission  acquiesced  to  the  mayor's  request  that  the  State  jettison  its  plans  to  erect  the  school  facilities  on  the  Wyandot  property.
 
Dr.  Holy  had  done  his  best  to  exercise  prudence  regarding  the  $5.5  million  budget  appropriated  by  the  Legislature  for  building  the  schools.  He  had  delayed  the  start  of  construction  after  receiving  the  plans  in  1947,  waiting  patiently  for  exorbitantly  high  post-war  construction  costs  to  decline  to  the  point  where  the  entire  project  could  be  built  without  exceeding  the  budget.  Now,  with  those  costs  finally  receding  some,  he  was  anxious  to  get  the  project  underway. Dr.  Holy  had  to  be  frustrated  with  Rhodes's  meddling.  But  it  would  not  be  good  politics  to  blow-off  the  popular  mayor  whose  name  was  being  bandied  about  as  a  potential  Republican  candidate  for  governor  in  the  upcoming  1950  elections.  So  regardless  of  what  his  private  thoughts  may  have  been,  Dr.  Holy  publicly  expressed  a  willingness  to  entertain   alternative  sites for  the schools.  
 
As  the  savviest  of  politicians,  Jim  Rhodes  no  doubt  realized  that  his  leverage  over  the  building  commission  was  limited,  and  that  it  would  be  difficult  to  cause  it  to  reverse  course  by  himself.  To  save  Wyandot,  officials  from  other  branches  of  state  government  would  need  to  apply  pressure  also.  To  the  mayor's  delight,  a  fellow  Columbus  Republican  serving  in  the  Ohio  House  of  Representatives,  stepped  forward  to  help  Wyandot's  cause.  Rep.  Robert  Shaw  sponsored  several  legislative  bills  designed  to  torpedo  efforts  to  build  the  schools  at  the  Wyandot  site.   His  first  proposed  measure,  House  Bill  528,  recommended  for  passage  by   the  House  Judiciary  Committee,   would  have  authorized  the  State  to  sell  the  golf  course  property  to  the  City  of  Columbus  for  $135,000.  Shaw  justified  this  by  arguing  that  the  State  had  paid  $100,000  and  invested  an  additional  $35,000 (ignoring  the  much  higher  engineering  and  architectural  expenses  already  incurred). In  doing  so,  Shaw  took  pains  to  mention   that  he  was  not  opposed  to  the  construction  of  new  buildings  for  the  two  schools.  The  "present  blind  and  deaf  schools  could be  razed  and  new  buildings  constructed  on  the  present  site  or  on  other  sites  acquired."  Rep.  Shaw  parroted  Rhodes's  argument  regarding   the  importance  of  the  Wyandot  golf  course  to  the  community.  "There  is  plenty  of  land  in  Columbus  and  Franklin  County  for   the  schools  without  taking  our  best  golf  course,"  said  the  lawmaker.  
 
Shaw  also  attempted  to  introduce  an  amendment  to  an  appropriation  bill  which  would  have  required  the  "new  buildings  to  be  constructed  on  the   present  location  of  the  present  blind  and  deaf  schools."  Dr.  Holy  was  aghast  at  this  gambit.  He  promised  that  his  commission  "would  oppose  as  vigorously  as  possible," any  such  measure.  Dr.  Holy  expressed  the  view  that   the  schools  current  locations   were  "...too  small. They  are  in  congested  areas  where  traffic  is  a  hazard  to  the  handicapped. Modern  trends in  treatment  of  the  blind   and  the  deaf  stress  broader  programs  of  vocational  and  agricultural  training.  More  space  is  required."  The Finance  Committee  rejected  Shaw's proposed  amendment.
 
But  Shaw's  crusade  to  assist  Rhodes  and  preserve  the  course  was  far  from  over.  He  then  sought  to  persuade  the  House  Finance  Committee  to  recommend   the re-appropriation  of  funds for  school  building  construction  on  the  condition  that  the  facilities  not  be  built  on  the  Wyandot  property.  When  the  committee   agreed  to  this  condition,  it  seemed  that  the  fight  to  save  the  course  had  finally  succeeded.  The  Citizen's  June  23,  1949  headline  declared  that  the  golf  course  advocates  had  carried  the  day.
 
    
 
An  "elated"  Mayor  Rhodes  praised  the  committee's  decision  and  indicated  he  would  "redouble  his  efforts  to  find  suitable  sites  for  the  schools."  Rhodes  announced  that  the  City   "will  co-operate  with  the  schools'  building  commission  in  every  possible  way."  But  the  mayor  was  well  aware  that  the  Finance  Committee's  recommendation  was  not  final,  and  that  the  General  Assembly  could  reject  it. The   likelihood  of  such  a  rejection  would  increase  significantly  if  Rhodes  could  not  quickly  find  a  suitable  alternative  site  for  the  schools.  
 
The  question  of  whether  the  building  commission  should  be  permitted  to  proceed  with  their  plans  to  build  the  schools  on  the  golf  course  became  a  hot  topic  in  the  newspapers.  Tellingly,  none  of  the  articles  or  editorials  praised  the  Finance  Committee's  recommendation  that  the  building  commission  find  a  new  site.  Instead,  they  expressed  alarm  at  the  deplorable  conditions  of   both  schools,  and  urged  immediate  action.  A  June  28,  1949  editorial  in  the  Ohio  State  Journal  labeled  the  existing  schools   as  "old,  dilapidated  firetraps"... "with  the  threat  of  horrible  disaster  hanging  over  them."  It  was  stated  that, "the  State  of  Ohio  cannot  afford  to  let  the  matter  drift...The  Legislature  ought  to  make  every  provision  it  can  for  getting  the  schools  built  as  soon  as  possible."   
 
The  Columbus  Citizen  ran  two  articles  on  June  26  and  June  27  highlighting  the  two  schools'  overcrowded  conditions  and  fire  hazards.  Both  articles  graphically  depicted  the  schools'   Dickensian  environment.  The  article  pertaining  to  the  School  for  the  Deaf  included  a  photograph  of  an  ancient  bathtub  which  44  boys  were  forced  to  use  for  their  Saturday  night  baths.  An  inspection  of  the  school's  dormitories  indicated  that  the  distance  between  the  beds  ranged  from  only  12  to  15  inches. Adding  to  the  danger  of  fire  was  the  building's  lack  of  fire  escapes.
 
    
The  Citizen  reporter  who  visited  the  School  for  the  Blind,  listed  numerous  deficiencies  rendering  the  facility  antiquated  and  unsafe:  "Metal  rods  bolted  to  inside  walls  to  keep  the  outer  limestone  wall  from  toppling....The  top  three  floors  of  the  six-story  structure  condemned- 15  years  ago....Boilers  in  the  heating  plant  which  were  discarded  25  years  ago  at  the  Ohio  Penitentiary....An  air  shaft  running  through  the  center  of  the  building  which  serves  as  a  potential  draft  for  fire." 
 
On   Monday,  June  27th,  the  building  commission  passed  a  resolution which  ratcheted  up  the  political  heat  on  all  concerned.  The  resolution  reaffirmed  the commission's  selection  of  Wyandot  as  its  first  choice  for  the  schools'  location.   The  resolution  further  indicated  that  if   Wyandot  was  not  available,  then  locations  outside  of  Columbus  would  have  to  be  considered.   Dr. Holy  placed  the  blame  squarely  at  Rhodes's  feet.  The  mayor  had  pledged  to  find  new  sites,  but  had  not  produced  any.  Thus,  said  Holy, "it  seems  unlikely  suitable  sites  can  be  located  in  the  Columbus  area."  Holy  disclosed  that  three  other  communities  had  submitted  proposals  to  house  the  facilities.
 
In  response  to  that  salvo,  Columbus's  labor  and  civic  leaders  joined  the fray  on  Tuesday,  June  28.  Al  Vesy, executive  secretary  of  the  Columbus  Federation  of  Labor,  spoke  out  vigorously  in  favor  of  keeping  the  project  in  Columbus: "Labor  leaders  here  definitely  want  the  buildings  for  new  schools  preferably  in  Columbus...The  two  schools  furnish  200  jobs  for  employees."
 
By  threatening  to  move  the  schools  outside  Columbus,  Dr.  Holy  had  cleverly  created  a  sticky  problem  for  the  mayor.  Rhodes's  bread-and-butter  issue  throughout  his  storied  political  career   was  job creation.  Rhodes  would  have  found  it  unacceptable  to  play  a  part  in  causing  existing  Columbus-based  jobs  to  migrate  elsewhere.  Desperate  to  find  sites  for  the  schools  that  would  avoid  such  a  calamity,  the  mayor  enlisted  the  help  of  Columbus  Real  Estate  Board  president  George  Tifft.  In short  order,  Tifft  found  two  potential  properties  in  the  northern  section  of  Franklin  County,  but  outside  the  city  limits.  A  third  site  in  the  southwestern  portion  of  the  city  was  also  a  possibility. Tiftt  gave  assurances   that  Columbus  utility  services  could  be  carried  to  all  three  sites,  and  that  a  15  person  committee  he  had  formed  "would  be  called  to  scour  the  county,"  to  unearth  more  locations.
 
At  the  end  of  June,  Jim  Rhodes  made  a  compromise  offer  to  Dr.  Holy:  the  City  would  offer  property  it  owned  on  Trabue  Road  (later  to  become  the  Raymond  Memorial  Golf  Course) as  the  new  site  for  the  schools.  City  Hall  officials  indicated,  "it  would  be  cheaper  to  buy  Wyandot  for  $125,000  than  it  would  be  to  develop  the  Trabue  Road  site  into  a  suitable  course."

But  Holy  derisively  rejected  the  offer  out  of  hand  declaring, "Wyandot  is  a  perfect  spot  for  the  schools.  It  has  everything. The  commission  has  looked  at  many  sites  and  the  best  we  have  found  is  Wyandot."  Dr.  Holy's  new-found  intransigence  probably  came  about  because  local  press  coverage  and  political  forces  were  now  swinging  in  the  direction  he  favored:  building  the  schools  at  Wyandot!  Given  the  mounting  public  pressure  to  build  new  schools,  Dr.  Holy could  effectively  "run  out  the  clock"  on  other  alternatives,  by  "just  saying  no"  to  any  sites  found  by  Rhodes  and  Tifft.

Entities  representing  the  interests  of  the  deaf  and  blind  had  heretofore  stayed  mostly  in  the  background.  But  on  July  1,  the  OFDF  weighed  in  full-force  in  favor  of  building  the  schools  at  Wyandot.  The  OFDF's  attorney,  Dale  Stump, became  the  primary  spokesperson  for  the  group.  Stump  was  far  from  a  shrinking  violet,  and  once  he  became  embroiled  in  the  controversy,  his  actions  and  statements  were  pointedly  confrontational.  His  first  move  was  to  write  George  Tifft  recommending  that  his  committee  would  be  better  off  seeking  an  appropriate  site  for  a  new  municipal  golf  course  rather  than  looking  for  a  new  site  for  the  schools.  Stump  opined  that  the  State  would  be  ahead  financially  if  it  built  a  new  course  for  the  city  and  proceeded  with  its  plans  to  build  the  schools  at  Wyandot.  He  reasoned, "the  State  could  save   money  by  spending  $100,000  for  developing  a  new  golf  course  site  for  Columbus  instead  of  turning  over  Wyandot  and  losing  $237,000  the  State  has  invested  in  developing  Wyandot  for  schools."

Heartened  by  the  OFDF's  support,  the  building  commission  immediately  threw  the gauntlet  down  to  the General  Assembly  and  voted  to  proceed  with  plans  to  erect  the  schools  at  Wyandot  notwithstanding  the  Finance's  recommendation  to  the  contrary. The  Citizen  remarked  that  the  commission  "apparently  is  ignoring  the  committee  action  by  proceeding  with  its  plans."  The  OFDF  was  now  calling  out   Mayor  Rhodes  for   trying  to  take  advantage  of  the  State.  An  OFDF  spokesman  warned: "There  is  a  serious  danger  that  the  mayor  of  Columbus in  his  enthusiasm  to  get  a  golf  course  for  a  fraction  of  its  real  value  will  try  to  high-pressure  the  state  into  accepting  an  inferior  site  in  exchange." In  a meeting  of  the  OFDF  in  Cleveland  on  July  4th,  the  organization  raised  the acrimony  to  new  heights  by  passing  a  resolution   contending  that,  "Rep.  Robert R.  Shaw  is  conniving with  Mayor  Rhodes  to  grab  the  site  for  golfers  at  the  expense  of  handicapped  children."

In  an  eleventh  hour  maneuver,  a  delegation  from  Akron consisting  of  representatives  from  rubber companies  and  labor  organizations  approached  Ohio  Governor  Lausche  on  July  5th  urging  that  the  schools   be  located  in  Summit  County.  Rep.  L.C. Washburn  indicated  Akron  had  "at  least  three  sites  believed  suitable,  including  one  belonging  to  the  county,  which  would  be  offered  gratis."  

Paul  Fessenden,  executive  secretary  of  the  Akron  CIO,  made  a  strong  pitch  for  the  Akron  site: "Akron  is  the  geographical  center  of  the  largest  concentration  of  deaf  mutes  in  the  country  outside  of  Pittsburgh."  1385  of  them  were "employed  there  mostly  in  the  rubber  industry."

Though  a  golfer,  and  a  very  good  one,  Governor  Lausche  did  not  react  to  Akron's  proposal  enthusiastically.   He  responded  that,  "I  am  not  now  in  a  position  to  subscribe  to  your  request. I  do  know  the  deaf  are  going   to  fight  for  Wyandot.  I  can  understand  how  they  feel  to  have  the  site  promised  them  for  four  years  and  their  hopes  blasted."  He  further  expressed  his  preference  to  have  the  schools  "centrally  located   in  the  state  to  be  available  to  all  handicapped  persons."

A  final  showdown  between  Mayor  Rhodes  and  the  OFDF's  Stump  took  place  at  City  Hall  on  Wednesday  July  6th. Fittingly,  the  meeting  was  held  at  "high  noon"  and  bitter  accusations  were  exchanged  between  the  two  men.   Rhodes  indignantly  claimed  that  it  was  Stump  who  originated  the  "idea  to  stop  the  state  from  building  the  new  schools  at  the  golf  course,"  and  "we [the  City] never  would  have  entered  the  controversy  if  it  hadn't  been  at  your  (Stump's)  insistence."

According  to  The  Citizen,  "Stump  lashed  back  with  a  denial  and  told  Mayor  Rhodes  that  the  State  would  build  the  schools  at  the  site  despite  the  mayor's  attempt  to  keep  the  golf  course  for  the  city."

While  full  of  recriminations  toward  Dale  Stump  personally,  the  mayor  extended  an  olive  branch  to  the  handicapped  persons  that  Stump  represented.  "The  land  belongs  to  the  State  and  the  State  can  stick  a  shovel  in  it  and  start  building  today  if  it  wants.  Both  the  blind  and  deaf  can  depend  upon  us  for  co-operation.  Our  first  interest  is  for  the  welfare  of   the  children,"  said  the  mayor.  It  was  clear  by  this  statement  that  Rhodes  had  read  the  tea  leaves   and  decided  that  he  was  out  of  viable  options  to  save  the  golf  course.  Besides,  he   was  being  mentioned  as  a  candidate  for  state-wide  office,  and  he  certainly  did  not  want  to  be  campaigning  having  to  defend  a  charge  that  he  favored  golfers  over  the  needs  of  the  handicapped. 

The  same  day  (July   6th),  the Ohio  House  of  Representatives,  by  a  vote  of  99  to  23, struck  from  the  appropriation  bill   the  condition   that  the  schools  could  not  be  constructed  at  the  Wyandot  golf  course.  Rep.  Shaw  was  not  on  hand  for  the  vote  as  he  was  fishing  in  Canada. An  editorial  in  the  Citizen  expressed  the view  that: "We're  glad  the  House  defeated  the  amendment  to  an  appropriation  bill  that  would  have  barred  Wyandot  as  a  site...Columbus  needs  the  golf  course  all  right,  but  so  do  the  blind  and  deaf  children  of  the  state  need  new  schools.  Unless  some  just  as  satisfactory  alternate  site  can  be  made  immediately  available,  the  State  should  not  give  up  the  one  it already  has."

An  editorial  in  the  Ohio  State  Journal  agreed  with  the  position  taken  by  The  Citizen,  but  also  took  the  opportunity  to  throw  the  embattled  mayor  a  bone: "Mayor  Rhodes  is  to  be  commended  for  making  it  clear  to  the  Legislature  that  it  was  not  the  City's  intention to  take  the  site  away  from  blind  and  deaf  children  unless  those  immediately  concerned  so  desired."  Jim  Rhodes  had  sought  to  save  Wyandot  with  relatively  weak  cards.  He  had  played  the  hand  dealt  with  his  usual  acumen, but  it  was  not  really  a  surprise  that  the  needs  of  the  handicapped  eventually  trumped  those  of  the  city's  golfers.

While  Rhodes  efforts  to  save  Wyandot  by   legislative  action  were  unavailing,  he  continued  to  promote  golf  throughout  his  long  public  life.  In  addition  to  bringing  the  three  Columbus  Invitationals  to  town,  he  also  was  the  catalyst  for  convincing  the  PGA  to  hold  its  1950  championship  at  Scioto.  He  did  not  stop  there.  Rhodes  was  a  great  supporter  of  caddy  scholarships,  and  he  held  an  annual  caddy  tournament  in  Columbus  for  their  benefit.  The  festivities  included  a  pro-am  event  loaded  with  celebrities  and  star  players.  The  1951 benefit  event  at  Brookside  featured  the  likes  of  Ed  Sullivan,  Perry  Como,  Dizzy  Dean,  Sam  Snead,  Jimmy  Demaret,  Lawson  Little,  Lloyd  Mangrum,  the  glamorous  golfing  sisters  Marlene  and  Alice,  and  wrestler  Chief  Don  Eagle.  7,000  spectators  enjoyed  the  action.

Later,  Rhodes,  a  low-handicap  player  in  his  own  right,  became  a  fixture  at  Jack  Nicklaus's  Memorial  Tournament  at  Muirfield  Village.  Whether  paired  with  President  Ford,  Bob  Hope  or  other  famed  personages,  the  four-time  governor   always  made  the  featured  foursome  of  the  pro-am.  He  received  numerous  accolades  for  his  contributions  to  golf.  In  1981,  he  was  named  the  recipient  of  the  American  Society  of  Golf  Course  Architects'  "Donald  Ross"  award.  Given  his  persistent,  though  unsuccessful  effort  to  save  a  classic  Ross  course,  the  honor  seems  especially  fitting. 



Bob  Hope,  Tom  Watson,  President  Ford,  and  Governor  Rhodes  at  Muirfield

Finally  free  of  interference,  the  building  commission commenced  the  process  of  entertaining  bids  for  construction  of  the  schools  at  Wyandot.  This  was  a  time-consuming  process  and  the  State  permitted  the  City  to  continue  operations  at  the  golf  course  until  the  close  of  the  1950  season.  Knowing  the  end  was  near,  the  self  styled  "Wyandot  Old-timers"  got  together  for  one  last  round  at  the  old  course  in  the  late  summer.  It  had  to  be  a  bittersweet  reunion  for  the  old  gang.




At  summer's  end,  construction  crews  moved  in  and  began  taking  the  course  apart.  According  to  an  article  in  The  Citizen,  "they  ripped  up  thousands  of  feet  of  the  intricate  watering  system,  dug  huge  holes  in  the  middle  of  several  fairways,  and  tore  the  furnishings out  of  the  clubhouse."  The  City's  lease  was  formally  cancelled  in  November,  1950.  It  seemed  certain  that  no  more  golf  would  be  played  at  Wyandot.  But  this  great  Donald  Ross-designed  course  which  had  survived  numerous  threats  to  its  existence,  was  not  quite  ready  to  say  goodbye!   
 
 
 
 
 
                              Governor  Jim  Rhodes                                               
 
Acknowledgements:  Judith  Florio,  archives  of  the  Columbus  Citizen,  Ohio  State  Journal,  and  Columbus  Dispatch  contained  in  the  archives  of  the  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library; Annual  Reports  of  the  City  of  Columbus;  Columbus  Memory, Scripps-Howard  Newspapers/Grandview  Heights  Public  Library/photo.org collection  http://www.photohio.org        
 
 
 























Thursday, May 15, 2014

Elks'- Wyandot's "Long Goodbye"- The Saga of a Lost Donald Ross Classic


                       Spectators'  view  from  behind  the  par  3  5th
                                at  the  1948  Columbus  Invitational


Chapter  17:   Reprieve!

It  must  have  been   a  bittersweet  feeling  to  have  been  a  member  of  Wyandot  Country  Club  in  the  summer  of  1946.  On  the  positive  side  of  things,  the  war  was  over.  With  rationing  and  self-sacrifice  now  behind  them,  the  club's  golfers  could  play  their  rounds  guilt-free. All  of  the  area  courses  were   bustling  with  activity.  And  despite  the  sale  of  the  course  property  to  the  State  of  Ohio,  golf  was  still  being  played  at  Wyandot!  The  press  of  other  post-war  spending  priorities  had,  for  the  time  being,  stalled  the  State's  plans  to  construct new  schools for  the  blind  and  deaf.  The  State  had  decided  to  let  the  country  club  continue  occupancy under  short  term  lease  arrangements,  until  such  time  as  the  government  was  ready  to  proceed  with  construction.

 But  the  members  realized  this  reprieve  was  only  temporary,  and  that  it  was  only  a  matter  of  time  before  their  course  would  be  lost.  With  memberships  beginning  to fill  up  at  Brookside,  York  Temple,  Columbus,  and  Scioto,  many  Wyandot  members  worried   that  if  they  procrastinated  in  switching  to  one  of  the  other  golf  clubs,  they  might  have  trouble  gaining  membership  or  be  forced  to  mark   time  on  the  waiting  list.  Thus,  a  steady  stream  of  member  resignations  began  to  hit  the  club  manager's  desk.   There  was  little  reason  to  be  the  last  man  or  woman  out  the  door. 

Still,  the  hardy  band  of  surviving  members  did  their  best  to  hold  things  together  in  1946.  The  club  even  hired  a  new  man  to  fill  the  golf  professional  slot  that  had  been  vacant  since  Francis  Marzolf   left  in  1942.  The  new  pro,  mustachioed  Al  Marchi,  could  really  golf  his  ball.  He  won  a  wide  assortment  of  local  professional  events,  and  subsequently  became  the  Ohio  Open  Champion  in  1947.  He  was  a  good  enough  player  to  take   a  brief  flier  on  the  pro  tour.  Buoyed  by  the  sponsorship  of  Dayton  diamond  merchant  Jack  Werst  (the  owner  of  the  "Vanderbilt  and  Styx  diamonds),  Al  competed  in  several  tour  events  in  the  summer  of  1950.
           




Marchi  was  a  talented  teacher  of  the  game  as  well.  A  prized  pupil  was  Ohio  State  golfer  Bonnie  Randolph,  who  later  enjoyed  a  distinguished  career  on  the  LPGA  tour,  garnering  a  victory  and  recognition  by  Golf  Digest  as  that  tour's  "Most  Improved  Player"  of  1958.

Both  the  Columbus  District  Golf  Association  and  the  Franklin  County  Women's  Golf   Association  scheduled  their  respective  championships  at  Wyandot  in  1946.  Presumably,  both  associations  were  cognizant of  the  fact   that  '46  was  likely  to  be   the  last  year  that  the  club  would  be  in  existence.  Harold  Todd  defeated   Hammy  Hedges  2  and  1  in  a  tense   36  hole  final  to  claim  the  CDGA  District  Amateur  title.  The  final  of  the  Franklin  County  Women's  Amateur  at  Wyandot  proved  to  be  a  fitting  last  hurrah  for  the  club  and  two  of  its  most  accomplished  female  players.  In  a  rematch  of  their  1945  final,  Mrs. William  Margraf  (formerly  Chester  Skees)  downed   her  great  friend  and  rival  Sally   Elson  4  and  2  to  repeat  as  champion.  Mrs.  Margraf's  wonderful  final  round  of   80  kept  Miss  Elson  at  bay. 

 Faced  with  an   untenable  situation,  the  club  finally  gave  up  the  ghost  and  disbanded  after  the  1946  season.   For  awhile  it  appeared  that  the  course  would  lie  fallow  until  the  schools  were  built.  But  a  master  politician,  gifted  with  a  driving  will  and  a  love  of  golf,  stepped  forward  to  provide  the  course  a  lifeline.  James  Rhodes,  then  Mayor  of  Columbus  and  later  Ohio's  four-time  governor,  supported  and  promoted  golf  in  myriad  ways  throughout  his  political  career.  In  the  spring  of  1947,  he  was  unhappy  with  the  state  of  the  City's  municipal  golf  operations.  The  city's  lone  muni  golf  course,  Twin  Rivers  (located  where  the  Twin  Rivers  U.S. Post  Office  is  now  situated),  was   short  and  relatively  unchallenging.  Worse  yet,  the  City  only  leased  the  Twin  Rivers  course,  and  the  owners  of  the  property  were  readying  to  build  a  large  plant  on  the  site  which  would  result  in  a  further  shortening  of  the  course  and  moving  of  greens.  According  to  Columbus  Dispatch  sportswriter  Paul  Hornung,  Twin  Rivers  was  being  "threatened  with  eventual  abandonment."  While  discussions  were  ongoing  regarding  the  feasibility  of  the  city buying  land  and  building  another  municipal  course,  nothing  had  yet  come  of  them.

 The  city  desperately  needed  another  golfing facility.  Rhodes  came  up  with  a  plan: with  the  State  giving  no  sign  that  the  schools  at  the  Wyandot  property would  be  constructed  anytime  soon,  why  not  have  the  City  operate  the  Wyandot  course  in  the  meantime?  With  luck,  Wyandot  could  bridge  the  gap  until  the  new facility  was  on  board  (eventually  a  new  muni-  Raymond  Memorial-  opened  for  play  in  1953).  And  who  knows!  Maybe  the  Mayor  could  work   some  of  his  vaunted  political  magic  to  further  extend  the  life  of  the  course.



                                      Columbus  Mayor  Jim  Rhodes

The   State  drove  a  hard  bargain. While  the  agreed  upon  annual  rental  of  $1,680  was  not  overly  burdensome,  another  clause  in  the  lease  was  troublesome.  The  government  insisted  on  a  30  day  "notice  to  evacuate"  clause  as  a  condition  of  its  leasing  the  property  to  the  City.  It  was  going  to  be  challenging  for  the  City's  Parks  and  Recreation  Department   to  safely  plan  a  golf  season-  tournaments  and  leagues  etc.-  knowing  that  the  course  might   be  forced  to  shut  down  in  mid-season.  But  the  Mayor  plunged  forward  and  accepted  the  terms.  With  a  stroke  of  the  pen,  the  State,  at  the  behest  of  Mayor  Rhodes,  had  granted  the  Wyandot  course  a  second  reprieve. 

Thrilled  with  the  opportunity  to  play  a   top-level  country  club  course,  Columbus's  publinx   players  flocked  to  Wyandot  in  1947.  11,944  rounds  were  purchased   by  daily  fee  players.  In  addition,  the  City  sold  181  annual   "memberships."   The  City's  Annual  Report  boasted  that  "by  this  acquisition,  our  citizens  had  an  opportunity  to  play  on  a  golf  course  equal  in  quality  to  a  private  course,  at  rates  within  reach  of  all."

Undaunted  by  concerns  that  the  State  could  precipitously  shut  down  the  course,  Rhodes    showcased  his  new  toy  (Wyandot)  by  promptly  scheduling  it  to  host   the  72  hole  state  public  links  championship  in  June.  This  was  simple  enough  for  Rhodes  to  arrange  since  one  of  the  many  "hats"  he  wore  was  chairman  of  the  state  public  links  association.  Val  Chiaverini  from  Toledo,  a  three  time  state  publinx  champion,  posted  a  fine  291  total  to  win  the  title.

Throughout  the  summer  of  '47,  Columbus  golfers  availed  themselves  of  their  newfound  chance   to  play  Wyandot.  The  availability  of   junior  memberships  was  a  particular   boon  to  young  golfers,  affording  them  an  opportunity  to   play  golf  frequently  yet  cheaply.   Bill  Amick  was  one  of  the  youths  who  took  advantage  of  the  City's  junior  program.  Bill  later  became  a  prominent  golf  course  architect  located  in  Florida.  His  course  design motto  is  "I  want  to  see  golfers  smiling  when  they  leave  the  18th  green!"  By  his  own  too  modest  admission,  he  "never  had  a  real  job-  I  just  hung  around  golf  courses.  I  still  do."  A  good  player  who  competed  collegiately  at  Ohio  Wesleyan,  Amick  noted  that  most  of  the  municipal  players   had  difficulty  hitting   Wyandot's  tight  fairways.  He  observed  that  most  "would  have  been  better  off  with  an  axe  instead  of  a  9  iron!"  Some  golfers   obtained  an  even  sweeter  deal  than  the  juniors.  Dr.  Fred  Balthaser,  long-time  respected   rules  official  for  the  Columbus  District  Golf  Association,  was  among  them.  As  an  employee  of  the  City  Park  and  Recreations  Department  in  1947,  he   played  the  course  for  free!

Mayor  Rhodes,  ever  restless  in  seeking  out  ways   to  promote  golf  in  general  and  Wyandot  in  particular,  came  up  with  a  beauty  for   1948.  Columbus  Country  Club  had  hosted  a  PGA  tour  stop  in  '46  and  '47-  the  Columbus  Invitational.  Managed  by  the  "Zooligans,"   an  eponymously  named  group  that  used  the  event  as  an  opportunity  to  raise  money  for  the  Columbus  Zoo,  the  Invitational  was  a  big  deal.   With  a  $10,000  purse,  the  first  two  events  had  attracted  big-name  entrants   like  Hogan,  Snead,  Nelson, and  Demaret.  Nelson  had  won  the  tournament  in   1946,  and  beknickered  South  African  Bobby  Locke  had  carried  off  top  honors  in  '47. Columbus  Country   Club  declined  to  host  the  Invitational  a  third  year,  so  the  venue  for  the  '48   event  was  up  for  grabs.  Rhodes  pounced!  The  '48  Invitational  would  be  held  at  Wyandot.  How  did  the opportunistic  Mayor  pull  this  one  off?  Easy!  He  also was  the  man  in  charge  of  the  Zooligans.   With  distinguished  Judge  Wayne  Fogle  in  place  as  tournament  chairman,  the  Zooligans  and  the  City  made  Wyandot  ready  for  the   Invitational's   opening  round  to  be  played  the  second  week  of  July.       



Thirteen  of   the  top  twenty-two  PGA  tour  money  winners  entered  the  '48  Invitational (sometimes  referred  to  as  the  "Zooligans'  Invitational").  But  not  even  Jim  Rhodes'  smooth  talking  was  enough  to  entice  top  stars   Sam  Snead,  Ben  Hogan,  Jimmy  Demaret,  Lawson  Little,  Jim  Ferrier,  and  Lew  Worsham  into  the  field.  Their  absence  was  conspicuous  because  each  had  played  in  the  Invitational  when  it  had  been  held  at  Columbus.  The  lightness  of  the  purse  certainly  had  something  to  do  with  their  decision  not  to  play.  The  PGA  had  recently   adopted  a  rule  recommending   a  minimum  tournament   prize  money  floor  of  $15,000.  However,  the  Zooligans,  figuring  that  an  increased  purse  would  jeopardize  the  zoo's  charitable  take,  kept   the  pot  at  $10,000.  Still,  the  field  was  star-studded.  Lloyd  Mangrum,  second  leading   money  winner  and  1946  U.S.  Open  champion  would  be  on  hand.



 So  would  Bobby   Locke,  the  third  man  in  the  money  rankings,  and  the  Invitational's   defending  champion.  The  pundits  felt  that  Locke's  straight  and  "controlled"  driving  would  be  perfect  for  Wyandot  which  "penalizes  the  'strayer'."



 Other  competing  players  who  had  won  or  would  win  major  championships  included  Dr.  Cary  Middlecoff,  Ed  Furgol,  Bob  Hamilton,  Chick  Harbert,  Jim  Turnesa,  Herman  Keiser,   and  Columbus's  favorite  son  Denny  Shute,  now 43.


Tour  stalwarts  Dutch  Harrison,  Skip  Alexander,  Fred  Hawkins,  Ky  Lafoon,  Freddy  Haas,  Ellsworth  Vines, Johnny  Bulla,  Johnny  Palmer,  and  Clayton  Heafner  were  also  gunning  for  the  Invitational's  first  prize  of  $2,000.  Toledo  amateur  and  Champion  Sparkplug  scion  Frank  Stranahan,  couldn't  accept  prize  money,  but  he  was  one  the  103  who  teed  it  up.  Rounding  out  the  field  were  local  luminaries  Francis  Marzolf,  Danny  Carmichael,  Bob  Kepler,  Mel  Carpenter,  Barney  Hunt,  Pete  Sohl,  and  Pete  Dye  from  Urbana-  better  known  much  later  as  one  of  the  greatest  golf  course  designers  of  his  generation.

The  Columbus  newspaper  scribes,  happily  ensconced  in  their  quarters  on  the  clubhouse's  terrace,  filled  their  columns  with  speculation  as  to  whether  the  short   6433  yard,  par  71  course  would  withstand  the  onslaughts  of  the  world's  best.


         press  area  for  the  '48  Invitational  on  the  Wyandot
                                      clubhouse  terrace


Local  pro  Joe  Thomas  estimated  that   the  winning  score  would  be  anywhere   from  272  to  276.  Joe  allowed  that  the  score  could  go  higher   as   any  appreciable  amount  of  wind  would  cause  the  course  to  tighten  up  considerably.  Francis  Marzolf  forecasted   a  tally  of   270  would  get  it   done.  Scribe  Russ  Needham  predicted  the  first  hole  could  give  the  big  boys  fits.  "The  green  looks  very  inviting,  but  it's built  like  an  inverted  saucer.  A  pitch  that  lights   in  the  middle  with  sufficient  backspin  will  be  safe  enough....But  a  shot  on  the  far  side  is  apt  to  trickle  off,  possibly  into  some  of  the  1000  tons  of  sand  recently  sprinkled  about  the  place."
Wyandot's  saucer-shape  first  green  during  the  1948  Columbus  Invitational


Controversy  enveloped  the  tournament  as  soon  as  the  pros  hit  the  course  for  their  practice  rounds.  Most   complained  about   the  length  of  the  fairway  grass   and  the  rough  around  the  edges  of  the   greens.  Lloyd  Mangrum  was  particularly  piqued  and  was  vocal  in  his  criticism.  Presumably   the  organizers  were   concerned  that  the  pros  would  embarrass  the  short  Wyandot  course  with   rounds  in  the  low  60's,  and  elected   to  defend  the  course  by  letting  the  grass  grow.  But  the  criticism  hit   home,  and  Judge  Fogle  ordered   the  mowers  out  in  force  prior  to  the  first  round.  Another  fly  in  the  ointment  surfaced  when  a  columnist  from  the  Columbus  Citizen,  a  morning  newspaper,  groused  that  the  sports  editor  from  a  competing  paper  had  "appealed  to  everyone  except  the  ghost  of  Hitler  in  his  successful  effort  to  keep  the  first-day  pairing  list,  or  any  part  of  it,  from  appearing  Thursday  in  a  rival  sheet  owned by  the  same  family."

 As  with  any  golf  tournament,  it  takes  a  squadron  of  volunteers  to  run  the  tournament.  In  the '48  Invitational,  several  came  from  the  greenkeeping  staffs  of  the  other  Columbus  courses.  University  contributed  young  Jim  Huber,  son  of  Elks'-Wyandot's  longtime  greenkeeper  Lawrence  Huber.  Jim  repaired  ball  marks  and  raked  the  traps  on  Wyandot's  8th  hole.


After  Thursday's  practice  round,  Chick  Harbert,   who, according  to  Citizen  sportswriter  Kaye  Kessler,  looked  "more  like  a  fashion  plate  than  America's  most  potent  man  with  a  driver,"  emceed  the  pro's  clinic.  In  what  was  a  harbinger  of  the  skill  he  would  exhibit  during  the  tournament,  Mangrum  put  on  the  best  show.  Kessler  reported  that  in  the  process  of  his  3  iron  demonstration,  Mangrum  hit  three  hooks,  three   slices,  three  straight  down  the  middle,  three  low   wind  balls,  three  straight  out,  and  three  that  looked  like  9  iron  shots." In  the  driving  contest,  Skip  Alexander  bested  long-knocker  Harbert  with  a  blow  of  330  yards.

The  sun  was  hot  and  the  course  severely  baked  out  once  the  game  was  on  for  keeps.  The  course  according  to  Kessler,  was  playing  "faster  than  a  pool   table."  The  tented  refreshment  stand  did  a  brisk  business.



      Bob  Kepler  lights  up  in  front  of  the  refreshment  tent


Emerging  to  take  control  of  the  tournament  was  young  San  Francisco  pro  George  Schoux.  His  sizzling  36  hole  total  of   130  put  him  four  ahead  of   Skip  Alexander  and  up  5  over  tournament  tough  Lloyd  Mangrum.  His  score  could  have  been  one  shot  lower,  but  Schoux  called  a  penalty  shot  himself  on  Wyandot's  13th  green  when  his  ball  moved  slightly  after  he  addressed it.  No  one  noticed  the  infraction  but  Schoux  himself.   Winner  of  only  one  tour  title,  Schoux  was  regarded  as  a  player  with  a  great  swing  and  talent,  but  also  as  one  who  had  become  obsessively  devoted  to  practice.  Some   thought  his  singlemindedness  was  holding  him  back  from  greater  success.
           


                  George  Schoux  practicing  at  Wyandot's  first  green


But  overshadowing  Schoux  as  the  top  story  of  the  second  round  was   Johnny  Bulla's  incredible  double  eagle  on  the  par  5  457  yard   15th  hole.  Evidently  aided  by  the  baked  conditions,  Bulla,  Sam  Snead's  old  running-mate  on  tour,  drove  330  yards  and  then  holed  out   from  there.   Nonchalant  about  the  shot,  Johnny  shrugged  and  said  that  he  "just  took  my  niblick,  and  holed  one  out.  That's all!"  He  shot  67  that  should  have  been  lower.  Unfortunately,  Johnny  tanked  in  subsequent  rounds.  Kaye  Kessler  of  The  Citizen  reported  that  Bulla  missed  5  three  foot  putts  in  his  Sunday  afternoon  round.  Purging  his  frustration  with  Cary  Middlecoff,  Bulla  then  "broke  his  putter  over  his  knee  and  handed  over  [to  Cary]  the  two  pieces."




Sunday's  concluding  double-round  turned  into  a  two-man  dogfight  between  soft-spoken  Schoux,  and  the  33  year  old   Mangrum.  With  his  trim  mustache  and  steely  countenance,  Lloyd  appeared  every  bit  the  hard-bitten  riverboat  gambler.  He   lived  the  part  too,  as  he  relished  engaging  in   some  of  the  tour's  biggest  money  games.   A  crowd  of  8,000  looked  on  as  the  two  players  went  at  it  toe-to-toe  for  36  holes.





   Mangrum,  cast  as   the  patient  hunter  pursuing  a  seemingly  vulnerable  and  slightly  skittish    prey,  carded  a  brilliant  65  in  the  morning  round.  Schoux  responded  well,  shooting  a  fine  67,  but  still  the  lead  was  trimmed  to  three  strokes.    The  underdog  Schoux   came  over  as  the  more  gallery-friendly  of  the  two,  smiling  effusively  and  making  eye  contact  with  the  patrons.  He  was  quickly  adopted  by   the  crowd  as  its  favorite.  But  playing  the  heavy  was  the  last  thing  that  would  bother   Mangrum,  a  twice  wounded  veteran  who   stormed  Normandy  Beach  on  D-Day.  Eventually  his  relentlessness  wore  his  younger  opponent  down.  Mangrum  caught  Schoux  on  the  8th  hole  of  the  afternoon  round  (watched  closely  by  the  aforementioned  Jim  Huber),  passed  him  on   the  9th,  and  took  a  two  stroke  lead  on  the  11th.  Playing  safe  steady  golf  from  there,  Mangrum  finished  with  a  68  and  a  winning  total  of  268.   Runner-up  Schoux,  slumping  a  little  down  the  stretch,  finished  with  a  final  round  72  leaving  him  a  single  stroke  in  arrears.  When  asked  whether   the   penalty  he  had  called  on  himself  on  Saturday  had  cost  him   the  tournament,  Schoux  ruefully  remarked,  "It  wasn't  that  stroke  but  a  lot  of  others  in  that  afternoon  round  Sunday,"  that  did  him  in. "I  tried,"  he  shrugged, "and  you  can't  do  anything  more  than  that."

Mangrum,  sometimes  brusque  in  his  comments,  was  uncharacteristically  chatty  at  the  trophy  presentation.  "I  enjoyed  this  probably  more  than  any  other  pro  here,  and  I  want  to  congratulate  them  for  taking  so  many  strokes."







The  event  was  deemed  a  success.  A  beaming   Jim  Rhodes  remarked  that, "this  turnout  this  weekend  is  proof  that  Columbus  wants  and  likes  its  golf."  However,  it  was  clear  from  Rhodes'  remarks  that  he  intended  to  shelve  the  Invitational  and  focus  his  and  the  Zooligans'  efforts  on  bringing  a  major  tournament  to  Columbus.  The  Dispatch's  Russ  Needham  revealed  that  it  was  a  near  certainty  that  the  PGA  tournament  (then  played  at  match  play)  would  be  coming  to  Columbus  in  1950.  He  thought  that  Columbus  Country  Club  would  be  afforded  the  right  of  first  refusal  to  host  the  event.  Needham  opined  that,  "in   the  event  of  a  refusal  [by  Columbus  C.C.],  Brookside  and  Scioto  probably  would  be  given  the  nod  in  that  order," (the  third  choice-  Scioto-  was  ultimately  selected  to  host   the  '50  PGA). 

Rhodes  also  had  to  be  pleased  with  the  uniformly  favorable  reviews  (aside  from  the  pre-tournament  long  rough)  of  his  municipal  golf  course.  The  tournament  had  provided  a  vehicle  for  Columbus  golfers  and  followers  of   the  sport  to  rediscover  the  beautiful  Wyandot  course.  While  the  Columbus  golf  community  had  previously  become  reconciled  to  the  fact  that  Wyandot  would  soon  be  closed,  this  question   began  to  be  asked  again  in   1948:   "Why  does   this  beautiful  historic golf  treasure  have  to  go?"   Mayor  Rhodes,  playing  his  political  cards  with  customary  adroitness,  certainly  encouraged  the  growing  drumbeat  to  somehow  reverse  the  seeming   inevitability  of  the  course's  closing.  As  1949  dawned,  the  seeds  sown  by  Rhodes  to  save  the  course  began  to  bear  fruit.




Acknowledgements:   Jim  Huber,  Bill  Amick,  Fred  Balthaser,  Archives  of  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library,  Columbus  Memory, Scripps-  Howard  Newspapers/Grandview  Heights  Public  Library/photo.org  collection   http://www.photohio.org  ;  archives  of  The  Columbus  Citizen,  Columbus  Dispatch,  and  Ohio  State  Journals  and  columns  of  sportswriters  Kaye  Kessler,  Paul  Hornung,  Lew  Byrer,  and  Russ  Needham  all  of  which  are  house  at  the  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library;  1947  and  1948  Annual  Reports  of  the  City  of  Columbus  


































Saturday, May 3, 2014

Elks'-Wyandot's "Long Goodbye"- The Saga of a Lost Donald Ross Classic






Chapter  16:    "Victory  Gardens"

As  the  1930's  gave  way  to  the  '40's,  things  seemed  to  be  going  reasonably  well  at  Wyandot.  With  The  Great  Depression  having  finally  run   its  course,  the  country's  improved  economic  outlook  boded  well  for  the  club's  fortunes. Despite  the  economic  turmoil  of  the  decade  past,  Wyandot  had  successfully  established  itself  as  a  mid-priced  no-frills  golf  club  with  an  outstanding  course  and  a  stable  of  excellent  low-handicap  players,  both  male  and  female.  But  a  potential  threat  to  Wyandot's   continued  existence  always  loomed  given  that  the  club  was  merely  a  tenant  in  a  series  of  short  term  leases  with  its  landlord,  the  Glen  Burn  Partnership.

 With  the  club's  patron  John  W.  Kaufman  gone,  Wyandot  was  dependent  on  the  continued  benevolence  of   the  remaining  Glen  Burn  partners  including  Harold  Kaufman,  Oscar  "Dutch"   Altmaier,  and  perhaps  other  beneficiaries  of  the  John  Kaufman  estate.   Harold  enjoyed   a  long  history  with  the  club  having  chaired  the  club's  construction  committee  that   built  the  Donald  Ross-  designed  golf  course.   He  remained  active  in  the  club,  still  serving  on  the  club's  board  of  directors.  Harold  probably  would  have  been  satisfied  with  continuing  the  "nominal"  rent  originally  arranged  by  his  father  with  the  club  in  1931.  But  it  is  unlikely  that  Harold's   partners  enjoyed  the  same  level  of  allegiance  to  Wyandot.    One  or  more  of  those  partners  must  have  grown   frustrated  with  the  paltry  revenue  generated  from  their  tenant,  and  Harold  may  have  been  under  pressure  to  remedy  the  situation.   Even  before  the  war,  Harold  Kaufman  was  urging  club  members  to  buy  the  property  from  Glen  Burn.  Dwight  Watkins  tells  this  story:  "My  father  Cy  was  a  Wyandot  member  in  those  days.  He  told  me  that  Kaufman  approached  the  members  several  times  saying, 'you  fellows  have  to  buy  it  or  else  we'll  have  to  sell  to  someone  else!'  No  one  believed  him  because  Mr.  Kaufman  already  had  plenty  of  money."

However,  the  financial  difficulties  of  clubs  like  Wyandot  soon  seemed  trivial  once  the  country  plunged  into  war  on  December  7,  1941. Far  more  than  any other  war  this  country  has  fought, World  War  II  received  unqualified  popular  support.  Most  agreed  that    all  activities  on  the  home-front  must  by  necessity   take  a  backseat  to  the  goal  of  obtaining  victory.  While  the  advent  of  the  war  presented  hardships  for  all  leisure-related  activities,  golf  clubs  and  courses  encountered  the  greatest  challenges  by  far.  They  were   broadsided  from  every  direction.  In  retrospect,  it  is  a  wonder  that  most  of  them   survived  the  war.

The  hits  to  the  business  of  golf  were  pervasive and  far-reaching. The  first  was  the  Office  of  Price  Administration's  ("OPA")  edict  ordering  the   rationing  of  automobile  tires  in  January,  1942.  This  measure  was  designed  to   discourage  motorists  from  pleasure  driving  to  places  like  golf  courses.  Then,  in  May,  1942,  the  OPA  ordered  the  discontinuation  of  golf  ball  manufacture  for  the  duration  of  the  hostilities.  But  the  hardships caused  by  those  measures  paled  in  comparison  to  those  caused  by  the   imposition  of  nationwide   mandatory  gas  rationing,  effective  December  1,  1942.  Most  motorists  were  limited  to  the  purchase  of   three  gallons  of  gasoline  per  week!  This  mandate  presented  an  enormous  dilemma  for  all  clubs  and  courses.  With  such  a  severe  gas  consumption   limitation,  how  could  golfers  get  to  their  respective  courses-  particularly  those  more  remote  "country"  clubs  located  several  miles  from  the  centers  of  population?"

Wyandot  did  its  best  to  address  gas  rationing.  The  club  formed  a  transportation  committee  to  figure  out   how  to  get  its  golfers  to  the  course  with  "a  minimum  of  gas  and  rubber  consumption."  The  Columbus  Dispatch  noted  that  the  committee  was  engaged  in  working  out  the  details  of  a  "share  the  ride"  program,  "but  if  this  should   prove  inadequate,   the  committee  might  resort  to  horse-drawn  vehicles,  or  a   station  wagon  from  the  High  Street  car  line  to  the  course."  Rationing  also  caused  a  predictable   reduction  in  dining  and  other  use  of   Wyandot's  facilities.  The  Dispatch  noted  that  "dinners  will  be  discontinued  to  be  replaced  by  light  luncheon  service."

Even  assuming  a  golfer  expended  his  precious  rationing  coupons  to  reach  the  course,  who  was  going  to  carry  his  clubs?  Golf  carts  would   not  come  into  general  use  until  1951.  The  supply  of  professional  caddies  had  dwindled  down  to  a  handful,  as  most  had  entered  the  service  or  related  essential  industries.  The  concept  of  carrying  one's  own  clubs  was  an  alien  one  to   most  club  members-  a  point  well-made  by  Byron  Nelson,  then  the  professional  at  Toledo's  Inverness  Club.   "Lord  Byron"  offered   the   view  that, "country  club  golfers  simply  won't  play  if  they  have  to  carry  their  own  sticks."

It  took  awhile  for  the  affects  of  the draft  to  be  fully  felt  by  Wyandot,  but  by  the  spring  of  1943,  most  of  the  male  membership,  age  38  and  below,  were  either  in  military  service  or  engaged  in  essential  industries.  War  Manpower  Commissioner  Paul  McNutt  affirmed   in  February,  1943  that  "by  the  end  of  this  year  10  out  of  14  of  the  able-bodied  men  between  18  and  38  will  be  in  the  armed  services."  Another  blow  was  struck  that  month  when  McNutt  issued  an  order  effective  April  1,  1943  listing  the  various  job  occupations  that  would  be  classified  as  "non-essential."   Those  men  so  engaged  were  required  to  find "essential"  work  or  be  drafted.  Among  the  positions  considered  non-essential  was  that  of  a  "greenkeeper."  Thus,  most  courses  were  depleted  of  their   crewmembers  unless  they  were  over  the  maximum  draft  age. Wyandot's  greenkeeper   Lawrence  Huber  was  already  52  years  old  and  well  beyond  draft  eligibility.  Still,  he  harbored  a  patriotic  urge  to   serve  his  country,  so  in  the  spring  of  1943,  Huber   left  Wyandot  and  accepted  a  position  maintaining  military  airfields  for  the  Corps  of  Engineers.   Lawrence's  son  Jim  Huber  recollects   that  his  dad  may  have  had  a  second  reason  for  leaving  Wyandot.  According  to  Jim,  his  father  believed   that  the  club  was  in  a  precarious  position,  and  that  there  was  a   good  chance  the  course   would  ultimately  become  publicly  owned. Lawrence  acknowledged  to  his  son  that  he  was  "spoiled"  by   the  care  that  country  club  players  give  their  course  (replacing  divots  and  repairing  ball  marks  etc.)  which  public  course  players  often  eschew.  Lawrence   had  no  interest  in  superintending  anything  other  than  a  private  club  course.



Wyandot's  professional  of  12  years,  Francis  Marzolf,  also  left  the  club,  taking  a  position  managing  military  housing units  in  Columbus.  The club, saving  expenses  wherever  possible,  decided  not  to  replace  him  for  the  time  being,  electing  to  get  by  solely  with  a  sales  person  in  the  pro  shop.



With  the  loss  of  membership  causing  a corresponding  loss  of  revenue  (most  clubs  estimated   that  gross  revenues  were  down  50%),  Wyandot  could  afford  only  the  barest  of  skeleton crews.  Thus,  a  "share  the  work"  program  was  instituted  by  which  the  remaining  members  would  run  the  club  themselves. Ten  committees  were  established  to  "plan  the  1943  season,  meet  all  of  the  emergencies,  and  maintain  golf  and  golf  facilities."

Some  sports  could  afford  to  place   their  facilities  in  mothballs  and  await  a  successful  conclusion  to  the  war.  Russ  Needham  of  the  Dispatch  wrote  frequently  on   this  subject  and  made  the  point  that  the  decision  to  discontinue  golf  course  maintenance   meant  the  loss  of  the  course. "There  won't  be  a  golf  course  as  such,  there  anymore.  It'll  just  be  pasture,  fit  for  growing  corn  and  potatoes  perhaps,  but  you  can't   putt   on  pasture,  and  you  can't  blast  out  of  a   bramble  bush......If  they  [the  golf  clubs]  let  their  course go  unkempt  for  a  season,  or  even  a  month  or  so,  at  the  critical  time  of  year,  the  greens  will  be  gone  beyond  all  redemption....Replacing  a  green  of  average  size  would  cost  in  the  neighborhood  of  $1,000.  That's  one  green  and  there  are  18  on  a  golf  course.....So,  the  problem  of   the  golf  clubs  is,  shall  they  suspend,  as  most  sports  could  if  necessary?  If  they  do  it  means  an  expense  of  upward  of  $25,000  to  rebuild  them  in  that  glorious  day  after  victory.  Or  do  they  keep  them  up  as  best  they  can,  gambling  the  expense  now  will  be  less  than  to  rebuild  later.  And  if  they  decide  on  this,  who'll  do  the  work  and  who'll  pay  for  it?" 

This  was  a  dilemma  faced  by  even  the   most  prestigious  clubs.  Augusta  National  dealt  with  the  issue  in  part  by  allowing  a  herd  of  cattle  to  roam  the  course  in  hopes  that  the  cows'  grass  munching  would  stay  ahead  of   the  growth  of  the  turf.


Wyandot  did   its  best  to  keep  the  course   playable  and  opened  the  course  for  the  spring  season  on  April  2,  1943.  Most  of  the  other  clubs  managed to  follow  suit.  Brookside,  refuting  rumors  that  the  club  would  not  operate  in  1943,  opened  as  well.  However,  Dublin-Arlington,  Columbus's   oldest  course,  did  close  down.  The  Columbus  District  Golf  Association  announced  that  it  was  canceling  its  tournament   schedule  for  the  season.  The  CDGA,  struggling  to  keep  tournament golf  alive  in  some  fashion,  stated  that  it  would  consider  sponsoring  and  running  war   relief  events  "which  might  be  suggested  by  and  co-sponsored  by  the  USGA  and  other  agencies."

Once  on  the  course,   club  golfers  faced   further   obstacles  that  were  arguably   more  oppressive  than  all  the  others:  guilt  and  derision!  Golfers  were  often  made  to  feel  unpatriotic  by  indulging  in  a  rich  man's  pastime  while  U.S.  soldiers  were  fighting  and  dying  overseas.  "Don't  you  know  there's  a  war  on?!"  was  a  common  refrain   heard  by  those   engaged  in  recreational  pursuits,  and  especially  golfers. 

The  Dispatch's  Russ  Needham,  in  a   column  sympathetic  to  stigmatized   golfers,   referenced  one  of    Wyandot's  players   to  illustrate  the   club  player's  plight. "Bill  Margraf,  whose  rich  locker-room  baritone  should  not  be  lost  in  the  turmoil,  come  what  may,  is  a  little  dismayed  at  the  prospect  of  what  the  summer  will  bring...Bill  feels  a  little  timid  about  taking  his  spoon  or  mashie  in  hand... Bill  flinches  to  think  how  he'll  feel  if,  as  he  tees  off  No.  4,  which  is  near   the  highway,  some  blighter  will  be  coming  down  Morse  Rd.- on  very  vital  business  of  course,  and  shouts  'slacker'  into  his  sensitive  ears."

That stigma   reached   high  into  the  ranks  of  the  professional  golfers  as  well.  The  PGA  suspended  most  tournament  operations  in  1943,  conducting  only  3  events.  Most  of  the  pros  were  in  service  or  working  for  essential  industries  for  the  duration.  Denny  Shute  came  back  to  Columbus,  and  performed  his  service   working  as  an  inspector  for  Jeffrey  Manufacturing. 


                          Denny  Shute   with  Jeffrey  Manufacturing

Denny  and  his  wife  settled  down  in  a  farmhouse  with  ten  acres  located  on  Hard  Road  on  the  northwest  side  of  Columbus.  When  not  engaged  with  Jeffrey,  Shute  busied  himself  with   chores.


                                          Denny  Shute  on  his  farm

Shute  still  managed  a  weekly  game  in  the   Columbus  Golf  League  as  the  ace  player  on   the  King-Taste   team.  During  wartime,  the  league  permitted  each  team  to  have  one  professional.  Imagine  having  to  go  head-to-head  with  a  three-time  major  champion   without  strokes!

Other  local  pros  also  were  employed   with   essential  industries.  Brookside's   Herb  Christopher  spent  the  war  in  the  personnel  department  of    Curtiss-Wright,  a  military  aircraft  manufacturer. 

                            Herb  Christopher,  while  at  Curtiss-Wright

Wyandot  and  the  other  clubs  searched  for  ways  to  maximize  revenue  while   still  contributing  to  the  war  effort.  The  club  instituted  the  category  of  "governmental  memberships."  This  was  viewed  by  the Dispatch  as  a  "combination of  thoughtful  hospitality  and  a  desire  for  self-preservation."  Such  memberships  were  reserved  for  males  "not  resident  but  temporarily  located  in  Franklin  County."  The  new  membership  category  was  designed  to  garner  new  members  from  essential  industry  employees  and  men  in  the  armed  services.  The   dues  for  this  new  category  were  set  at  $10  per  month  with  no  initiation  fees.  Wyandot's  president,  Paul   Anderson  was  cautiously  optimistic  stating  that  "our  membership  drive  is   exceeding  expectations."  York  Temple  adopted  a  $10  membership  fee  with  the  proviso  that  the  member  would  have  to  pay  a  30  cent  greens  fee  for  each  round  played. 

Halfway  through  the  summer  of  '43,  the  clubs  and  the  CDGA  began  to  find  ways  to  contribute  to  war  relief  through  tournament  competition.  All  of  the  clubs  in  the  Columbus  district  sponsored  "Hale  America"  golf  events  over  the  July  4th  weekend  to  benefit  the  Red  Cross.  On  July  18th,  the  CDGA  saw  fit  to  hold   its  first  competition  of  the  season-  a  mixed  two-ball  foursome  event  at  Columbus  with  all  entry  fees  likewise  being  donated  to  the  Red  Cross.

Another  means  by  which  the  clubs  contributed  to  the  war  effort  were  the  numerous  "victory  gardens"  planted  in  their  spare  space.  The  gardens  were  used  to  plant  vegetables,  fruit  and  herbs  with  the  intent  of  reducing  pressure  on  the  public  food  supply.  Maintenance  of  these  gardens  also  helped  boost  the  morale  of  those  tending  them.   Every  private  club  in  the  Columbus  district  established  a  victory  garden,  and  this  produced  a  spirit  of  friendly  competition  to  determine  which  club's   garden was  the  best.  Columbus  and  Scioto  plowed  and  planted  four  acres.  Wyandot  reserved  plots  for  60  members  over  5  acres.  Brookside  boasted  the  largest garden  with  seven  acres  cultivated.  That  club  even  hired  a  man  to  "pitch  a  tent  on  the  course  and  do  night  patrol  duty  in  the  'victory  garden'  areas."
Despite  these  burdens,  there  was  still   some  stellar   golf  played  by  Wyandot  members  during  the  war  years.  The  men's   club  team  won  the  season- long  inter-club  competition  in  1941.  Johnny  Florio,  now  35,    shot  a  64  at  his  home  course   on  July  4,  1944   tying  Francis  Marzolf  for   the  second  lowest  tally  scored  at  Wyandot.  Two  other  notable  amateurs-  Ray  Heischman  and  Byron  Jilek-   joined  the  club  for  brief  periods.  Jilek,  an  amazingly  consistent  ball  striker,  was  a  particular  standout.  From  1933  to  1936,  he  played  for  Miami  University's  golf  team,  serving  as  captain  his  senior  year.  Before  moving  to  Columbus,  he  won  Zanesville  Country  Club's  championship.  He  was   good  enough  to  match  up  in  exhibitions  with  the  likes  of  Byron  Nelson  and  Chick  Evans.  Upon  moving  to  Columbus  in  1942,  he  joined  Wyandot,  and  made  a  run  at  winning  the  District  Amateur  that  year  before  bowing  out  in  the semi- finals.  But  Jilek  did  not  stay  long  at  Wyandot,  moving  over   to  York  Temple  in  1944.   His  exodus  may  have  been  the  result  of  constant  rumors  that  the  course's  grounds  were  about  to  be  sold  to  the  State  of  Ohio.  Jilek  enjoyed  a  distinguished  career  in  local  golf  circles,  winning  the  District  Amateur,  the  first  of  his  three  District  Amateur  titles,  in  1947.  He  ultimately  left  York   Temple  for  Brookside,   and  became  a  many-time  club  champion  there.  

Unfortunately,  there  was  a   factual   basis  underlying   the  ongoing  gossip  surrounding  the  club's  sale.  Negotiations  between  the  Glen  Burn  Partnership  and  the  State  of  Ohio  were  heating  up.  It  is  reasonable  to  assume   that  the  financial  hardships  caused  by  the  war  had  further  compromised  Wyandot's  ability  to  make  rental  payments  to  Glen  Burn.  But  was  Glen  Burn  motivated  to  sell  because  it  wanted   rid  of  an  investment  that  was  not  working  out,  or  was  it  because  the  state  (as  intimated  in  a  Russ  Needham  column  in  the  Dispatch)  was  threatening  to  initiate  condemnation  proceedings  anyway,  and  that  partnership   resistance  to  governmental  acquisition  would  be  futile?   Or  both?  Given  the  prior  repeated  efforts  of  Harold  Kaufman  to  divest  the  property  to  the  club's  members,  all  of  these  rationales  are  plausible.

 In  July,  1944,  Glen  Burn  sold  the  entire  property  to  the  State  of  Ohio  for  $100,000.   The  State  desired  to  replace  the  existing  Hogwarts-like  State  of  Ohio  School  for  the  Deaf,  located  on  Town  Street  in  downtown  Columbus  with  an  up-to-date  facility.



           State  of  Ohio  School  for  the  Deaf  in  downtown  Columbus

The  State  was  also  seeking  land  for  the  State  of  Ohio  School  for  the  Blind,  then  located  on  Parsons  Avenue  in   Columbus.  The  Wyandot  property  would   allow  each  school  to  maintain   its  own  separate  campus  on  either  side  of  the  gorge.



   State  of  Ohio  School  for  the  Blind,   Parsons  Avenue,  Columbus

As  the  transaction  with  the  State  loomed,  Russ  Needham  lamented  the  anticipated  passing  from   the  scene  of  the  wonderful  Wyandot  course.  But  it  wasn't  the  only  golf  property  on  the  chopping  block.  It  appeared  that  Indian  Springs  and  Brookside  were  also  soon  to  be  sold.  The  latter  course  had  become  the  target  location  for  the  new  state  Fairgrounds.  Needham  commented  that  Brookside's  remote  location  "in  these  transportation-ridden  days,  is  unfortunate.  Its  chief  assets  are  a  fine  and  enthusiastic  membership  and  a  delightful  clubhouse,  although  the  golf  course  itself  is  inclined  to  be  on  the  monotonous  side.  It  might  be,  in  some  distant  day,  the  members  of  Wyandot  and  Brookside,  backed  by  the  funds  they  will  receive  for  their  clubs,  will  see  fit  to  get  together,  buy  land  in  some  new  location  and  restore  the  best  features  of each  club  into  one  sterling  organization."  (Brookside  was  never  acquired  by  the  State  and  it  survives  to  this  day  as   one  of  the  city's  finest  courses).

But  Needham  was  clearly  saddest  about  what  appeared  to  be  the  imminent  closing  of  Wyandot.  Waxing  eloquently,  he   described  the  beloved  track  this  way:   "It  wasn't  long  and  it  wasn't  difficult,  as  long  as  you  kept  it  straight.  But  it  was   a  delight  to  play.  It  was  like  a  cool  soothing  hand  on  a  fevered  brow  on  a  hot  day.  It  had  calmness  and  dignity  combined  with  a  suggestion  of  the  joy  of  living.  There  were  few  golf  courses  like  it.  It's  a  shame  it  has  to  go."

But  despite  the  sale,  Elks'- Wyandot's  story  was  not  at  an  end.  There  would    be  several  more  episodes  in  the  course's  narrative.




Acknowledgements:  Dwight  Watkins,  Tom  Marzolf,  Archives  of  the  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library,  Columbus  Memory,  Scripps-Howard  Newspaper/Grandview  Heights  Public  Library/ photo.org   collection  http://www.photohio.org  ; Russ  Needham,  Kaye  Kessler,   and  the  Columbus  Dispatch; Wikpedia