Thursday, May 15, 2014

Elks'- Wyandot's "Long Goodbye"- The Saga of a Lost Donald Ross Classic

                       Spectators'  view  from  behind  the  par  3  5th
                                at  the  1948  Columbus  Invitational

Chapter  17:   Reprieve!

It  must  have  been   a  bittersweet  feeling  to  have  been  a  member  of  Wyandot  Country  Club  in  the  summer  of  1946.  On  the  positive  side  of  things,  the  war  was  over.  With  rationing  and  self-sacrifice  now  behind  them,  the  club's  golfers  could  play  their  rounds  guilt-free. All  of  the  area  courses  were   bustling  with  activity.  And  despite  the  sale  of  the  course  property  to  the  State  of  Ohio,  golf  was  still  being  played  at  Wyandot!  The  press  of  other  post-war  spending  priorities  had,  for  the  time  being,  stalled  the  State's  plans  to  construct new  schools for  the  blind  and  deaf.  The  State  had  decided  to  let  the  country  club  continue  occupancy under  short  term  lease  arrangements,  until  such  time  as  the  government  was  ready  to  proceed  with  construction.

 But  the  members  realized  this  reprieve  was  only  temporary,  and  that  it  was  only  a  matter  of  time  before  their  course  would  be  lost.  With  memberships  beginning  to fill  up  at  Brookside,  York  Temple,  Columbus,  and  Scioto,  many  Wyandot  members  worried   that  if  they  procrastinated  in  switching  to  one  of  the  other  golf  clubs,  they  might  have  trouble  gaining  membership  or  be  forced  to  mark   time  on  the  waiting  list.  Thus,  a  steady  stream  of  member  resignations  began  to  hit  the  club  manager's  desk.   There  was  little  reason  to  be  the  last  man  or  woman  out  the  door. 

Still,  the  hardy  band  of  surviving  members  did  their  best  to  hold  things  together  in  1946.  The  club  even  hired  a  new  man  to  fill  the  golf  professional  slot  that  had  been  vacant  since  Francis  Marzolf   left  in  1942.  The  new  pro,  mustachioed  Al  Marchi,  could  really  golf  his  ball.  He  won  a  wide  assortment  of  local  professional  events,  and  subsequently  became  the  Ohio  Open  Champion  in  1947.  He  was  a  good  enough  player  to  take   a  brief  flier  on  the  pro  tour.  Buoyed  by  the  sponsorship  of  Dayton  diamond  merchant  Jack  Werst  (the  owner  of  the  "Vanderbilt  and  Styx  diamonds),  Al  competed  in  several  tour  events  in  the  summer  of  1950.

Marchi  was  a  talented  teacher  of  the  game  as  well.  A  prized  pupil  was  Ohio  State  golfer  Bonnie  Randolph,  who  later  enjoyed  a  distinguished  career  on  the  LPGA  tour,  garnering  a  victory  and  recognition  by  Golf  Digest  as  that  tour's  "Most  Improved  Player"  of  1958.

Both  the  Columbus  District  Golf  Association  and  the  Franklin  County  Women's  Golf   Association  scheduled  their  respective  championships  at  Wyandot  in  1946.  Presumably,  both  associations  were  cognizant of  the  fact   that  '46  was  likely  to  be   the  last  year  that  the  club  would  be  in  existence.  Harold  Todd  defeated   Hammy  Hedges  2  and  1  in  a  tense   36  hole  final  to  claim  the  CDGA  District  Amateur  title.  The  final  of  the  Franklin  County  Women's  Amateur  at  Wyandot  proved  to  be  a  fitting  last  hurrah  for  the  club  and  two  of  its  most  accomplished  female  players.  In  a  rematch  of  their  1945  final,  Mrs. William  Margraf  (formerly  Chester  Skees)  downed   her  great  friend  and  rival  Sally   Elson  4  and  2  to  repeat  as  champion.  Mrs.  Margraf's  wonderful  final  round  of   80  kept  Miss  Elson  at  bay. 

 Faced  with  an   untenable  situation,  the  club  finally  gave  up  the  ghost  and  disbanded  after  the  1946  season.   For  awhile  it  appeared  that  the  course  would  lie  fallow  until  the  schools  were  built.  But  a  master  politician,  gifted  with  a  driving  will  and  a  love  of  golf,  stepped  forward  to  provide  the  course  a  lifeline.  James  Rhodes,  then  Mayor  of  Columbus  and  later  Ohio's  four-time  governor,  supported  and  promoted  golf  in  myriad  ways  throughout  his  political  career.  In  the  spring  of  1947,  he  was  unhappy  with  the  state  of  the  City's  municipal  golf  operations.  The  city's  lone  muni  golf  course,  Twin  Rivers  (located  where  the  Twin  Rivers  U.S. Post  Office  is  now  situated),  was   short  and  relatively  unchallenging.  Worse  yet,  the  City  only  leased  the  Twin  Rivers  course,  and  the  owners  of  the  property  were  readying  to  build  a  large  plant  on  the  site  which  would  result  in  a  further  shortening  of  the  course  and  moving  of  greens.  According  to  Columbus  Dispatch  sportswriter  Paul  Hornung,  Twin  Rivers  was  being  "threatened  with  eventual  abandonment."  While  discussions  were  ongoing  regarding  the  feasibility  of  the  city buying  land  and  building  another  municipal  course,  nothing  had  yet  come  of  them.

 The  city  desperately  needed  another  golfing facility.  Rhodes  came  up  with  a  plan: with  the  State  giving  no  sign  that  the  schools  at  the  Wyandot  property would  be  constructed  anytime  soon,  why  not  have  the  City  operate  the  Wyandot  course  in  the  meantime?  With  luck,  Wyandot  could  bridge  the  gap  until  the  new facility  was  on  board  (eventually  a  new  muni-  Raymond  Memorial-  opened  for  play  in  1953).  And  who  knows!  Maybe  the  Mayor  could  work   some  of  his  vaunted  political  magic  to  further  extend  the  life  of  the  course.

                                      Columbus  Mayor  Jim  Rhodes

The   State  drove  a  hard  bargain. While  the  agreed  upon  annual  rental  of  $1,680  was  not  overly  burdensome,  another  clause  in  the  lease  was  troublesome.  The  government  insisted  on  a  30  day  "notice  to  evacuate"  clause  as  a  condition  of  its  leasing  the  property  to  the  City.  It  was  going  to  be  challenging  for  the  City's  Parks  and  Recreation  Department   to  safely  plan  a  golf  season-  tournaments  and  leagues  etc.-  knowing  that  the  course  might   be  forced  to  shut  down  in  mid-season.  But  the  Mayor  plunged  forward  and  accepted  the  terms.  With  a  stroke  of  the  pen,  the  State,  at  the  behest  of  Mayor  Rhodes,  had  granted  the  Wyandot  course  a  second  reprieve. 

Thrilled  with  the  opportunity  to  play  a   top-level  country  club  course,  Columbus's  publinx   players  flocked  to  Wyandot  in  1947.  11,944  rounds  were  purchased   by  daily  fee  players.  In  addition,  the  City  sold  181  annual   "memberships."   The  City's  Annual  Report  boasted  that  "by  this  acquisition,  our  citizens  had  an  opportunity  to  play  on  a  golf  course  equal  in  quality  to  a  private  course,  at  rates  within  reach  of  all."

Undaunted  by  concerns  that  the  State  could  precipitously  shut  down  the  course,  Rhodes    showcased  his  new  toy  (Wyandot)  by  promptly  scheduling  it  to  host   the  72  hole  state  public  links  championship  in  June.  This  was  simple  enough  for  Rhodes  to  arrange  since  one  of  the  many  "hats"  he  wore  was  chairman  of  the  state  public  links  association.  Val  Chiaverini  from  Toledo,  a  three  time  state  publinx  champion,  posted  a  fine  291  total  to  win  the  title.

Throughout  the  summer  of  '47,  Columbus  golfers  availed  themselves  of  their  newfound  chance   to  play  Wyandot.  The  availability  of   junior  memberships  was  a  particular   boon  to  young  golfers,  affording  them  an  opportunity  to   play  golf  frequently  yet  cheaply.   Bill  Amick  was  one  of  the  youths  who  took  advantage  of  the  City's  junior  program.  Bill  later  became  a  prominent  golf  course  architect  located  in  Florida.  His  course  design motto  is  "I  want  to  see  golfers  smiling  when  they  leave  the  18th  green!"  By  his  own  too  modest  admission,  he  "never  had  a  real  job-  I  just  hung  around  golf  courses.  I  still  do."  A  good  player  who  competed  collegiately  at  Ohio  Wesleyan,  Amick  noted  that  most  of  the  municipal  players   had  difficulty  hitting   Wyandot's  tight  fairways.  He  observed  that  most  "would  have  been  better  off  with  an  axe  instead  of  a  9  iron!"  Some  golfers   obtained  an  even  sweeter  deal  than  the  juniors.  Dr.  Fred  Balthaser,  long-time  respected   rules  official  for  the  Columbus  District  Golf  Association,  was  among  them.  As  an  employee  of  the  City  Park  and  Recreations  Department  in  1947,  he   played  the  course  for  free!

Mayor  Rhodes,  ever  restless  in  seeking  out  ways   to  promote  golf  in  general  and  Wyandot  in  particular,  came  up  with  a  beauty  for   1948.  Columbus  Country  Club  had  hosted  a  PGA  tour  stop  in  '46  and  '47-  the  Columbus  Invitational.  Managed  by  the  "Zooligans,"   an  eponymously  named  group  that  used  the  event  as  an  opportunity  to  raise  money  for  the  Columbus  Zoo,  the  Invitational  was  a  big  deal.   With  a  $10,000  purse,  the  first  two  events  had  attracted  big-name  entrants   like  Hogan,  Snead,  Nelson, and  Demaret.  Nelson  had  won  the  tournament  in   1946,  and  beknickered  South  African  Bobby  Locke  had  carried  off  top  honors  in  '47. Columbus  Country   Club  declined  to  host  the  Invitational  a  third  year,  so  the  venue  for  the  '48   event  was  up  for  grabs.  Rhodes  pounced!  The  '48  Invitational  would  be  held  at  Wyandot.  How  did  the opportunistic  Mayor  pull  this  one  off?  Easy!  He  also was  the  man  in  charge  of  the  Zooligans.   With  distinguished  Judge  Wayne  Fogle  in  place  as  tournament  chairman,  the  Zooligans  and  the  City  made  Wyandot  ready  for  the   Invitational's   opening  round  to  be  played  the  second  week  of  July.       

Thirteen  of   the  top  twenty-two  PGA  tour  money  winners  entered  the  '48  Invitational (sometimes  referred  to  as  the  "Zooligans'  Invitational").  But  not  even  Jim  Rhodes'  smooth  talking  was  enough  to  entice  top  stars   Sam  Snead,  Ben  Hogan,  Jimmy  Demaret,  Lawson  Little,  Jim  Ferrier,  and  Lew  Worsham  into  the  field.  Their  absence  was  conspicuous  because  each  had  played  in  the  Invitational  when  it  had  been  held  at  Columbus.  The  lightness  of  the  purse  certainly  had  something  to  do  with  their  decision  not  to  play.  The  PGA  had  recently   adopted  a  rule  recommending   a  minimum  tournament   prize  money  floor  of  $15,000.  However,  the  Zooligans,  figuring  that  an  increased  purse  would  jeopardize  the  zoo's  charitable  take,  kept   the  pot  at  $10,000.  Still,  the  field  was  star-studded.  Lloyd  Mangrum,  second  leading   money  winner  and  1946  U.S.  Open  champion  would  be  on  hand.

 So  would  Bobby   Locke,  the  third  man  in  the  money  rankings,  and  the  Invitational's   defending  champion.  The  pundits  felt  that  Locke's  straight  and  "controlled"  driving  would  be  perfect  for  Wyandot  which  "penalizes  the  'strayer'."

 Other  competing  players  who  had  won  or  would  win  major  championships  included  Dr.  Cary  Middlecoff,  Ed  Furgol,  Bob  Hamilton,  Chick  Harbert,  Jim  Turnesa,  Herman  Keiser,   and  Columbus's  favorite  son  Denny  Shute,  now 43.

Tour  stalwarts  Dutch  Harrison,  Skip  Alexander,  Fred  Hawkins,  Ky  Lafoon,  Freddy  Haas,  Ellsworth  Vines, Johnny  Bulla,  Johnny  Palmer,  and  Clayton  Heafner  were  also  gunning  for  the  Invitational's  first  prize  of  $2,000.  Toledo  amateur  and  Champion  Sparkplug  scion  Frank  Stranahan,  couldn't  accept  prize  money,  but  he  was  one  the  103  who  teed  it  up.  Rounding  out  the  field  were  local  luminaries  Francis  Marzolf,  Danny  Carmichael,  Bob  Kepler,  Mel  Carpenter,  Barney  Hunt,  Pete  Sohl,  and  Pete  Dye  from  Urbana-  better  known  much  later  as  one  of  the  greatest  golf  course  designers  of  his  generation.

The  Columbus  newspaper  scribes,  happily  ensconced  in  their  quarters  on  the  clubhouse's  terrace,  filled  their  columns  with  speculation  as  to  whether  the  short   6433  yard,  par  71  course  would  withstand  the  onslaughts  of  the  world's  best.

         press  area  for  the  '48  Invitational  on  the  Wyandot
                                      clubhouse  terrace

Local  pro  Joe  Thomas  estimated  that   the  winning  score  would  be  anywhere   from  272  to  276.  Joe  allowed  that  the  score  could  go  higher   as   any  appreciable  amount  of  wind  would  cause  the  course  to  tighten  up  considerably.  Francis  Marzolf  forecasted   a  tally  of   270  would  get  it   done.  Scribe  Russ  Needham  predicted  the  first  hole  could  give  the  big  boys  fits.  "The  green  looks  very  inviting,  but  it's built  like  an  inverted  saucer.  A  pitch  that  lights   in  the  middle  with  sufficient  backspin  will  be  safe  enough....But  a  shot  on  the  far  side  is  apt  to  trickle  off,  possibly  into  some  of  the  1000  tons  of  sand  recently  sprinkled  about  the  place."
Wyandot's  saucer-shape  first  green  during  the  1948  Columbus  Invitational

Controversy  enveloped  the  tournament  as  soon  as  the  pros  hit  the  course  for  their  practice  rounds.  Most   complained  about   the  length  of  the  fairway  grass   and  the  rough  around  the  edges  of  the   greens.  Lloyd  Mangrum  was  particularly  piqued  and  was  vocal  in  his  criticism.  Presumably   the  organizers  were   concerned  that  the  pros  would  embarrass  the  short  Wyandot  course  with   rounds  in  the  low  60's,  and  elected   to  defend  the  course  by  letting  the  grass  grow.  But  the  criticism  hit   home,  and  Judge  Fogle  ordered   the  mowers  out  in  force  prior  to  the  first  round.  Another  fly  in  the  ointment  surfaced  when  a  columnist  from  the  Columbus  Citizen,  a  morning  newspaper,  groused  that  the  sports  editor  from  a  competing  paper  had  "appealed  to  everyone  except  the  ghost  of  Hitler  in  his  successful  effort  to  keep  the  first-day  pairing  list,  or  any  part  of  it,  from  appearing  Thursday  in  a  rival  sheet  owned by  the  same  family."

 As  with  any  golf  tournament,  it  takes  a  squadron  of  volunteers  to  run  the  tournament.  In  the '48  Invitational,  several  came  from  the  greenkeeping  staffs  of  the  other  Columbus  courses.  University  contributed  young  Jim  Huber,  son  of  Elks'-Wyandot's  longtime  greenkeeper  Lawrence  Huber.  Jim  repaired  ball  marks  and  raked  the  traps  on  Wyandot's  8th  hole.

After  Thursday's  practice  round,  Chick  Harbert,   who, according  to  Citizen  sportswriter  Kaye  Kessler,  looked  "more  like  a  fashion  plate  than  America's  most  potent  man  with  a  driver,"  emceed  the  pro's  clinic.  In  what  was  a  harbinger  of  the  skill  he  would  exhibit  during  the  tournament,  Mangrum  put  on  the  best  show.  Kessler  reported  that  in  the  process  of  his  3  iron  demonstration,  Mangrum  hit  three  hooks,  three   slices,  three  straight  down  the  middle,  three  low   wind  balls,  three  straight  out,  and  three  that  looked  like  9  iron  shots." In  the  driving  contest,  Skip  Alexander  bested  long-knocker  Harbert  with  a  blow  of  330  yards.

The  sun  was  hot  and  the  course  severely  baked  out  once  the  game  was  on  for  keeps.  The  course  according  to  Kessler,  was  playing  "faster  than  a  pool   table."  The  tented  refreshment  stand  did  a  brisk  business.

      Bob  Kepler  lights  up  in  front  of  the  refreshment  tent

Emerging  to  take  control  of  the  tournament  was  young  San  Francisco  pro  George  Schoux.  His  sizzling  36  hole  total  of   130  put  him  four  ahead  of   Skip  Alexander  and  up  5  over  tournament  tough  Lloyd  Mangrum.  His  score  could  have  been  one  shot  lower,  but  Schoux  called  a  penalty  shot  himself  on  Wyandot's  13th  green  when  his  ball  moved  slightly  after  he  addressed it.  No  one  noticed  the  infraction  but  Schoux  himself.   Winner  of  only  one  tour  title,  Schoux  was  regarded  as  a  player  with  a  great  swing  and  talent,  but  also  as  one  who  had  become  obsessively  devoted  to  practice.  Some   thought  his  singlemindedness  was  holding  him  back  from  greater  success.

                  George  Schoux  practicing  at  Wyandot's  first  green

But  overshadowing  Schoux  as  the  top  story  of  the  second  round  was   Johnny  Bulla's  incredible  double  eagle  on  the  par  5  457  yard   15th  hole.  Evidently  aided  by  the  baked  conditions,  Bulla,  Sam  Snead's  old  running-mate  on  tour,  drove  330  yards  and  then  holed  out   from  there.   Nonchalant  about  the  shot,  Johnny  shrugged  and  said  that  he  "just  took  my  niblick,  and  holed  one  out.  That's all!"  He  shot  67  that  should  have  been  lower.  Unfortunately,  Johnny  tanked  in  subsequent  rounds.  Kaye  Kessler  of  The  Citizen  reported  that  Bulla  missed  5  three  foot  putts  in  his  Sunday  afternoon  round.  Purging  his  frustration  with  Cary  Middlecoff,  Bulla  then  "broke  his  putter  over  his  knee  and  handed  over  [to  Cary]  the  two  pieces."

Sunday's  concluding  double-round  turned  into  a  two-man  dogfight  between  soft-spoken  Schoux,  and  the  33  year  old   Mangrum.  With  his  trim  mustache  and  steely  countenance,  Lloyd  appeared  every  bit  the  hard-bitten  riverboat  gambler.  He   lived  the  part  too,  as  he  relished  engaging  in   some  of  the  tour's  biggest  money  games.   A  crowd  of  8,000  looked  on  as  the  two  players  went  at  it  toe-to-toe  for  36  holes.

   Mangrum,  cast  as   the  patient  hunter  pursuing  a  seemingly  vulnerable  and  slightly  skittish    prey,  carded  a  brilliant  65  in  the  morning  round.  Schoux  responded  well,  shooting  a  fine  67,  but  still  the  lead  was  trimmed  to  three  strokes.    The  underdog  Schoux   came  over  as  the  more  gallery-friendly  of  the  two,  smiling  effusively  and  making  eye  contact  with  the  patrons.  He  was  quickly  adopted  by   the  crowd  as  its  favorite.  But  playing  the  heavy  was  the  last  thing  that  would  bother   Mangrum,  a  twice  wounded  veteran  who   stormed  Normandy  Beach  on  D-Day.  Eventually  his  relentlessness  wore  his  younger  opponent  down.  Mangrum  caught  Schoux  on  the  8th  hole  of  the  afternoon  round  (watched  closely  by  the  aforementioned  Jim  Huber),  passed  him  on   the  9th,  and  took  a  two  stroke  lead  on  the  11th.  Playing  safe  steady  golf  from  there,  Mangrum  finished  with  a  68  and  a  winning  total  of  268.   Runner-up  Schoux,  slumping  a  little  down  the  stretch,  finished  with  a  final  round  72  leaving  him  a  single  stroke  in  arrears.  When  asked  whether   the   penalty  he  had  called  on  himself  on  Saturday  had  cost  him   the  tournament,  Schoux  ruefully  remarked,  "It  wasn't  that  stroke  but  a  lot  of  others  in  that  afternoon  round  Sunday,"  that  did  him  in. "I  tried,"  he  shrugged, "and  you  can't  do  anything  more  than  that."

Mangrum,  sometimes  brusque  in  his  comments,  was  uncharacteristically  chatty  at  the  trophy  presentation.  "I  enjoyed  this  probably  more  than  any  other  pro  here,  and  I  want  to  congratulate  them  for  taking  so  many  strokes."

The  event  was  deemed  a  success.  A  beaming   Jim  Rhodes  remarked  that, "this  turnout  this  weekend  is  proof  that  Columbus  wants  and  likes  its  golf."  However,  it  was  clear  from  Rhodes'  remarks  that  he  intended  to  shelve  the  Invitational  and  focus  his  and  the  Zooligans'  efforts  on  bringing  a  major  tournament  to  Columbus.  The  Dispatch's  Russ  Needham  revealed  that  it  was  a  near  certainty  that  the  PGA  tournament  (then  played  at  match  play)  would  be  coming  to  Columbus  in  1950.  He  thought  that  Columbus  Country  Club  would  be  afforded  the  right  of  first  refusal  to  host  the  event.  Needham  opined  that,  "in   the  event  of  a  refusal  [by  Columbus  C.C.],  Brookside  and  Scioto  probably  would  be  given  the  nod  in  that  order," (the  third  choice-  Scioto-  was  ultimately  selected  to  host   the  '50  PGA). 

Rhodes  also  had  to  be  pleased  with  the  uniformly  favorable  reviews  (aside  from  the  pre-tournament  long  rough)  of  his  municipal  golf  course.  The  tournament  had  provided  a  vehicle  for  Columbus  golfers  and  followers  of   the  sport  to  rediscover  the  beautiful  Wyandot  course.  While  the  Columbus  golf  community  had  previously  become  reconciled  to  the  fact  that  Wyandot  would  soon  be  closed,  this  question   began  to  be  asked  again  in   1948:   "Why  does   this  beautiful  historic golf  treasure  have  to  go?"   Mayor  Rhodes,  playing  his  political  cards  with  customary  adroitness,  certainly  encouraged  the  growing  drumbeat  to  somehow  reverse  the  seeming   inevitability  of  the  course's  closing.  As  1949  dawned,  the  seeds  sown  by  Rhodes  to  save  the  course  began  to  bear  fruit.

Acknowledgements:   Jim  Huber,  Bill  Amick,  Fred  Balthaser,  Archives  of  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library,  Columbus  Memory, Scripps-  Howard  Newspapers/Grandview  Heights  Public  Library/  collection  ;  archives  of  The  Columbus  Citizen,  Columbus  Dispatch,  and  Ohio  State  Journals  and  columns  of  sportswriters  Kaye  Kessler,  Paul  Hornung,  Lew  Byrer,  and  Russ  Needham  all  of  which  are  house  at  the  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library;  1947  and  1948  Annual  Reports  of  the  City  of  Columbus  

No comments:

Post a Comment