Saturday, March 1, 2014

Elks'- Wyandot's "Long Goodbye- The Saga of a Lost Donald Ross Classic


                                                John  W.  Kaufman                

Chapter  10:   Fire  Sale!

 64  year  old  Chairman  of  the  Board  John  W.  Kaufman  and  his  fellow   B.P.O.E.  Lodge  No.  37  trustees  had  regretfully   concluded  that  the  loss  of  the  clubhouse,  coupled  with   declining  membership  levels,  rendered   the  lodge's  retention  of  the  golf  course  and  property  untenable.  But,  how  could  the  trustees  obtain  relief  from  this  financial  burden    (let  alone  the  expense  of   reconstructing  the  burned  down  clubhouse),  while  still  ensuring  that  the   180  remaining   golfing  Elks   could  still  play  the  golf  course  as  members  of  a  private  club?   An  answer  had  to  be  found  fast  or  the  unsettling  lack  of   certainty  would  drive  away  remaining  golfers,  the  staff,  and  the  coming   Ohio  Amateur  Championship.

 Kaufman  had  personal  reasons  for  wanting   the  course  to   survive.  After  all,  it  was  he  who  had  engineered  the  lodge's  (1) purchase  of  the  265  acre  Higgins  property,  (2) building  of  its  Donald  Ross- designed    golf  course,  and  (3)  operation  of  its  own   country  club. While  a  number  of  potential  buyers  expressed  interest  in  purchasing  the  grounds,  it  is  a  good  bet  that  John  W.  shuddered   at  the  prospect  that   some  fast- talking  developer  might  wind  up  with  the  property  and   proceed  to  destroy  the  beautiful  golf  course  he  and  his  Elks  had  built.  How  could  he  help  solve  the  B.P.O.E.'s  dilemma?  

Kaufman  was  in  the  best  position of  anyone   to  effect  the  friendly  bail-out  of   the  lodge  and  its  golfers.  Unlike  most  folks   in  1931,  the  Kaufman  family   still  had  money.  So,  either  at  the  behest  of  his  fellow  trustees  or  his  own  initiative,  John  W.  decided  to  step  up.  He  orchestrated    an  offer   by  "The  Glen  Burn   Company,"   to   purchase  the  entire  club  property  from  the  B.P.O.E..   "The  Glen  Burn  Company,"   was  a  real  estate  entity  comprised  of  John  W.,  his  son  Harold,  and  son-in-law  Oscar  "Dutch"  Altmaier. The  details  of  the  transaction  were  related  to  the  membership  by  John  W.  at  the  February  11  meeting  of  the  lodge.

 He  explained  that   Elks  who  were  currently  members  of  the  soon  to  be  disbanded  Elks'   Country  Club  would  form  a  new  golf  club.  Glen  Burn,  after  taking  ownership,  would   lease  the  property  back  to  the  new  club  for  an  indefinite  period.    John  W.  realized  that  finances  would  be  tight  for  the  fledgling  club,  so  to  assist  it  in  getting  off  to  a  good  start,  "  rent  would  be  charged  for  the  first  two  years  and  that  then  a  nominal  rent  would  be  agreed  upon  which  would  allow  the  [newly  formed] club  to  continue,  as  it  [meaning  the  Elks'  Country  Club] has  in  the  past,  as  a  course  where  golfers of  moderate  means  would  not  find  dues  beyond  their  reach." 

John  W.  also  formed  an  "organizing  committee"  of  Elks'  members  who  would  be  entrusted  with  running  the  new  club.  The  committee  was to  be  headed  by  the  affable  Elks'  green  committee  chairman  Tom  Dempsey.  He  would  become  the  new  club's  general  manager.  John  W.  also  appointed  Henry  Watkins   and  J.F.  Powers  to  the  organizing  committee.  It  might  have  seemed  a  bit  unusual  for  landlord  John  W.  to  be  the  one  appointing  his  new  tenant's  management  team.  However,  it  would  have  made  no  sense   for  John  W. to  go  to  the   trouble  of   helping  his  fellow  Elks  out  of  a  financial  jam  unless   he  could  be  assured  of   excellent  rapport  with  the  new  club's  representatives.     

Although  John  W.  balked  at  having  The  Glen  Burn  Company  incur  the  expense  of  rebuilding  the  clubhouse,  he  proposed  spending  $15,000  on  infrastructure  improvements.  These  would  include  a  new  women's  locker  room,   a  new dining  room  adjacent to  the  present  men's  locker  house,  and  resurfacing  of  the  road  leading  to  the  locker  room.  Another  $10,000  would  be  expended  by  Glen  Burn  on  course  improvements.    

New  man  in  charge  Tom  Dempsey  provided  additional  details  pertaining  to  the  new  club  at  the  lodge  meeting.    He  explained  to  the  assemblage  that  a   membership  committee  would  be  named  to  "restrict  membership,  although  the  new  club  is  expected  to  absorb   most  of   the  members  of  the  old  Elks'  Country  Club."  The  new  club  would  not  be  restricted  to  the  members  of  B.P.O.E.,  and  welcomed  applications  from  outside  Elks'  ranks.   The  club  would  be  operated  solely  as  a  golf  club  with  "no  provision  made  for  dances  or  any  other  kind  of  parties  usually  associated  with  a  country  club."  The   initiation  fee  would  be  set at  a  mere  $25  with  an  annual  membership  fee  in  the  amount  of  $75.  The  fees  would  be  increased   once  the  roster  reached  200.  The  number  of  men's  memberships  would  be  closed  once  the  number  reached  250.  Dempsey  felt  this  number  would  be  reached  easily  "as  most  of  the  present  membership  is  expected  to  remain  and  that   many  local  golfers   who  had  been  kept  out  by  limitation   to  Elks'  members  would  now  be  recruited."  Memberships  for  women  would  be  available  as  well.  Work  would  start  immediately  on  the   improvements  mentioned  by  Mr.  Kaufman.  Dempsey  also  reassured  attendees  that  professional  Francis  Marzolf,  greenkeeper  Lawrence  Huber,  and  locker  room  attendant  Frank  Whipp  would  continue  in  the  service  of  the  new  club.

Dempsey  advised  that  a  new  name  for  the  club  would   be  selected  in  the  near  future.  The  name  would  be  "entirely  divorced  from  either  The  Elks'  or  Glen  Burn,  under   which  names  the  club  has  been  designated  in  the  past." (I  would  note  that  at  no  time  in  my  research  did  I   see  the  club   or  course  referred  to  as  "Glen  Burn"  until  the  Dempsey  comments  of  February  11,  1931  were  reported  in  the  next  day's  newspapers).  Dempsey  reported   that  he  had  contacted  the  Ohio  Golf   Association,  and  informed  its  officials  that  the  new  club  would  be  ready  for  the  Ohio  Amateur   "in  plenty  of  time."   Lawrence  Huber  had  already  manured  the  fairways,  construction  work  had  already  been  started,  and  he  was  confident  that  the  links  "will  be  in  better  shape  than  ever  during  the  coming  year."

On  February  23rd,  the  newly  formed  club  announced  its  name,  "Wyandot  Golf  and Country  Club,"   to  honor  the  "Indian  tribe  which  formerly  inhabited  the  region  where  the  present  Elks'  site  is  now  located."    No  mention  was   made  by  Dempsey  of  the  "Last  of  the  Wyandots"  Bill  Moose,  frequently  spotted  at  the  club  until  old   age  finally  caught  up  with  the nonagenarian.   His  infirmities  had  recently   forced  Bill  out  of  his  shack  and 
into  residence  at  the  Franklin   County  Home.  It  had  to  cross  the  minds  of  the  many  who  loved  and  admired   Bill  Moose  that  the  course's  new  name  should   also  be  interpreted  as  a  personal  tribute  to  him.  Certainly  the  image  of  the  native  American  on  the  scorecard  bore  a   resemblance  to  Bill.
Wyandot-  scorecard-  note  the  "stymie  gauge"

Wyandot's  new  general  manager  Dempsey  was   extended  good  wishes   by  The   Citizen's  sportswriter  Lew  Byrer,  who  penned,  "With  Tom  Dempsey,  as  fine  a  guy  as  Columbus  golf   knows,  at  its  head,  the  new  organization  should  prosper and  become,  in  the  future,  an   even  greater   factor  in  Columbus  golf   than  in  the  past."

  Dempsey  and  his  fellow  organizing  committee  member   Henry  Watkins  were  no  doubt  pleased  to  be  working  in  harness  together.  Best  friends Tom  and  Henry  played  golf  together  two  to  three  times  weekly.   Forever  locked  in  a  never-ending  battle  for  bragging  rights,  the  two  high  80's  shooters  began  keeping  a  cumulative  tally  of  who  had  won  more  holes  over  their  hundreds   of   matches.   A  Bill  Needham- authored  feature  in  the  May  23,  1930  Columbus  Citizen  indicated  that  Dempsey  was  currently  holding  a  53  up  lead  after  12,762  holes!   After  each  round,  the  winner  of  the  day's  match  would  proudly  hang  a  red  flag  from  his  locker  as  a  symbol  of  victory.    Though  it  seems   counterintuitive,  each  golf  season's  cumulative  winner  hosted  the  other  fellow  and  his  family  for  dinner. 

Henry  Watkins  enjoyed   telling   the  story  of   the  fishing  trip  he  took  to   Minnesota.   Communication  with  the  outside  world  from   his  remote   camp   was  none  too  good.  Let  Henry  take  over  the  tale. "One  day  I  received  a  telephone  call  from  the  telegram  office.  It  was  a  wire  from  Dempsey.  I  asked  the  office  to  read  it  to  me.  'Went  crazy  and shot....,'  the  girl  read  and  at  that   point  the  telephone  wire  broke  down.  I  didn't  know  what  sort  of  tragedy  had  happened   to  my  friend.  So  I  walked  half  a  mile  down  the  road  to  the  closest  phone  to  hear  the  rest  of  the  telegram.  It  consisted  of  two  words.  They  were 'an  85.' "

Dempsey  plunged  into  the  effort  to  recruit  members  for  Wyandot.  Applicants,  whether members  of  the  now  disbanded  Elks'  Country  Club   or  newcomers  unaffiliated  with  the  B.P.O.E.,  were  asked  to   pony  up  a  $25  initiation  fee  in  addition  to  the  $75  annual  subscription.   By  March  27th,  Dempsey  had  succeeded  in  signing  up   170  members.  But  he  did  not  convince  all  the  former  Elks'  members  to  transfer  their  membership  to  Wyandot.  He  was  unable  to  coax  three  key  members  of  The  Elks'  golf  team  into  the  Wyandot  fold.  George  Babcock,  Max  Matusoff,  and  Eddie  Hart  had  moved  on.  Even  Johnny  Florio   considered  playing  his  golf  elsewhere.  Melvin  Carpenter,  who  had  won  the  Columbus  District  Junior  championship  under  the  Elks'  banner,  was  gone  too  having  joined  the  professional  ranks.

These  roadblocks   caused  Dempsey  to  redouble  his   membership  drive  efforts.  One  way  to  grab  the  attention  of  prospective  members  was  to  publicize   the  constant  buzz  of  activity  that  Wyandot  maintained   throughout  the  spring.   Construction  of  the  new  ladies'  locker  room  and  lounge  moved  along  expeditiously.   It  was  remarked  in  the  Dispatch  sports  page  that  the  ladies  would  have  use  of  a  facility "equipped  with  two  marble  shower  rooms,  four  individual  dressing  rooms,  with  the  floor  of  rose  and  blue  tile."

                                     New  Men's  Locker  Room                     

The  Ohio  State  Journal's  E. H.  Peniston    gave  two-thumbs-up  to  the  refurbished  and  reorganized  men's  locker  room.  "Twenty  rooms  will  be  provided,   patterned  after  the  Columbus  Country  Club.  A table  and  six  chairs will  be  found  in  each  separate  compartment."    Peniston  adjudged  that  "the  new  setup   modeled  after  Tom's  idea,  is  great  and  a   big  improvement."  Francis  Marzolf's  pro  shop  and  the  caddy  master's  station  were  redecorated   too.

Improvements  to  the  course  were  also  in  process.  The  ninth  and  eighteenth  tees  were  elevated.   Brush  and  trees  to  the  right  of  the  first  hole  were   eliminated.  Peniston   was    wowed  by  the  course's  beauty  that  spring.  "All  the  dogwood,  red-bud,  and  other  flowering  trees  and  shrubs  as  well  as  the  course,  are  at  their  best  at  Wyandot  now,  and   worth  a  trip  to  see  in  themselves."

Another   Dempsey  brainchild  was  to  place  rakes  (cheap  ones  to  discourage  theft)  at  each  of  Wyandot's  126  traps.  Peniston  approved  of  this  new   innovation,  and  suggested  that  other  Columbus  courses  follow  suit  because,  "it  is  a  big  help  and  doubtless  helps  cut  down  trap  cussing  to  a  minimum  at  Wyandot."

Dempsey  and  the  rest  of  the  Wyandot  braintrust   waited  anxiously  for  word  on  whether  the  Ohio  Golf  Association  would  change  the  location  of  the  Ohio  Amateur  scheduled  for  July  6th.  Having  been  spooked  by  the  turmoil  engulfing   Elks'-Wyandot,   the  OGA  required  satisfaction  that  Dempsey  and  his  team  would  have  a  well-maintained  course  and  adequate  facilities.  He   must  have  succeeded  because  on  April  11th,  the  OGA's  secretary  put  an  end  to  the  speculation  and  announced  that  Wyandot  would  retain  the  championship.  The  OGA's  F.S.  Crooks  mentioned   that  he  would  be  meeting  shortly  with  Dempsey  to  work  out  the  plans  for  the   event.  It  was  definitely  a  major  coup  for  Wyandot  to  become  the  first  club  to  host  the  Ohio  Open  and  Ohio  Amateur  in  back-to-back  years.

Dempsey  and  company  had  to  be  delighted  that  Wyandot  would  be  hosting  the  last  leg  of  four  spectacular   golf  events  to  be  held  in  the  Buckeye  State over  the  period  from   June  19  to  July  10,  1931,  Preceding  the  state  amateur   would  be  (1)  the  prestigious  Western  Open  at  Miami  Valley in  Dayton;  (2)  the   Ryder  Cup  team  competition   staged  at  Columbus's  Scioto,  and  (3)  the  United  States  Open  to  be  contested  at  Toledo's  Inverness.   Columbus  golf  fans  and   Wyandot  members  anticipated  that   their  local  star  and  Elks'  alum   Denny  Shute  would   be  inspired  to   play  well  in  front  of  the  home  crowd  at  the  Ryder  Cup.   Unfortunately, there  was  no  guarantee  Denny  would  make  the  team.  He  had   failed  to  earn  one  of  its  10  automatic  berths.  But  he  would  have  one  last  opportunity  to  join  the  U.S. side.    A  72  hole  qualifier  would  be  contested   at  Scioto  immediately  prior  to  the  start  of  Ryder  Cup  play.  A  committee  of  the  PGA  had  selected  13  players  including  Denny  to  fight  it  out  for  the  last  two  berths.

 From  all  accounts,  Denny  Shute  enjoyed  the  recognition   he   had  earned  in  his  adopted  home  of   Columbus  as  its  leading  sports  star  and  Elks'- Wyandot's  favorite  son.    He  also  seemed  happy  with  his  affiliation  at  Brookside  in  Columbus  where  he  served  as  a  co-professional  with  his  father  Hermon.  But  those  good  feelings  only  made  things  more  complicated  when  Lake  Forest  Country  Club  in  Hudson,  Ohio,  150  miles  distant  from  Columbus,  began  romancing  Denny  in  March,   1931.    The  rumor  circulated   that   Lake  Forest  had  made  him  a  very  lucrative  offer.  The  Hudson  club  supposedly  had  big  plans:  the  club  was  a  major  part  of  an  ambitious   real  estate  development  that  was  just  getting  started.  Luring  a  name  like  Denny  to  Lake  Forest   would  certainly  boost  sales.  Denny  was  apparently  blown  away    by  the  club's  promises,  and  he  explored  what  seemed   like  a  can't  miss  opportunity.  However,  there  was  a  fly  in  the  ointment.  Denny   was   still  under  contract  to  Brookside!  Thus  on  March  22nd,  the  Ohio  State  Journal  reported,  "Denny  Shute  will  be  back  at  Brookside,  it  was  stated  by  Brookside  officials  Saturday. The  rumor  that  he  might  go  to  Cleveland  [which  is  near  Hudson]  is  unfounded  for  he  has  signed  a  contract  to  remain  here."

There  must  have  been  some  serious  wheelin'  and  dealin'   subsequent  to   March  22nd  because  one  week  later  it  was  announced  that   Denny  had  accepted  the  Lake  Forest  job  and  would  be  leaving  Columbus.  Furthermore,  Brookside  had  decided  to  let  him  go.    The  Dispatch  piece  noted  that  "...Shute,  now  at  Pinehurst,  N.C. [competing  in  the  North  and  South  Open], wired  J.S.  McVey  [Brookside  club  president]  recently  asking  if   he  could  be  released  from  any  contract,  verbal  or  written,  and  the  Brookside  management  replied  that  it  was  entirely  up  to  Denny  whether  he  wanted  to  remain  in  Columbus  or  go  elsewhere."    McVey  put  the  best  face  on  Denny's  departure  from  the  club's  perspective.  He  stated  it  would  not  be  necessary  to  replace  the  sharpshooter  because  "Hermon  Shute,  who  is  now  on   the  job,  will  handle  the  whole  professional's  burden  at  the  club."   The  arrangement  with  Denny  had  been  such  that  he  had  been  allowed  to  spend  most  of  his  time   away  from  the  club  in  competitions  anyway.

                                        Hermon  Shute  with  Denny

 Before  leaving  town  for  good,  Denny  made   the  rounds  in  Columbus  to  say  goodbye  to  his  golfing  friends.  He  expressed  appreciation  for  the  "marvelous  treatment"  he  had  received  from  Brookside  officials  and  the  Columbus  public.   He  would  have  stayed  in  town,  but  Lake  Forest  had  made  him  an  offer  he  "did  not  feel  he  could  refuse."   Elks'-Wyandot's  greatest  golf  alum   probably  wondered  whether  he  would  be  well  received  by  Columbus  golf  fans  when  he  would  soon  mount  his  effort  to  qualify  for  the  U.S.  Ryder  cup  side  at  Scioto.  If  so,   he  needn't  have  worried.   Denny   would  be  warmly  welcomed  and  still  acclaimed  as  a  "home  boy"  by  everyone  at  the   Ryder  Cup.

Shute's  departure  was  just  one  more  indicator  that  "times were  a-changin' " for  the   former  Elks'  Country  Club  members.  They   were  being  solicited  to  join  a  much  different  club  than  the  one  which   they  had  been  affiliated  with  in  the  Roaring  20's.  The  big  dances  and  formal  social  occasions  held  in  the  now  vanished  clubhouse  were  all  in  the  past.   People  with  no  B.P.O.E.  connection  would  be  joining. Wyandot  was  repositioning  itself  as  a moderately  priced  golf-only   club  instead  of  competing  with   full- amenities  upscale  clubs  like  Scioto  and  Columbus.  But  eventually  Dempsey  was  successful  in  persuading  most  of  the  old  guard  to  join.   Wyandot  was  working  its  way  "out  of  the  ashes"  to  a  successful  new  beginning.

Johnny  Florio  overcame  his  reservations  and  signed  up.  Despite  the   loss  of   several  regulars,  any  golf  team  featuring  the   one-two  punch  of  Ohio  Amateur  champions  Florio  and  Glen  Bishop  was  going  to  be  formidable. The  Wyandot  golf  team  showed it  still  could  take  on  all  comers  in  the  Ohio State  Journal  team  competition  held   on  June  4th  at  Wyandot.  The   match  with  always-tough  Scioto  was  deadlocked  at  28  points when  the  final  game  of  the  day  between  Wyandot's  W.E.  Lynch  and  Scioto's  Curtis  Sohl  reached  the  18th  all square.  Realizing  the  outcome  of  the  match  rested  on  the  shoulders  of  Messrs.  Lynch  and  Sohl,  members  of  both  teams  and  other  interested  onlookers  crowded  behind  the  18th   green  to  cheer  their  boys.  To  the  delight  of  the  home  faithful,  Lynch's  third  shot  from  the  rough  crept  close  to  the  pin  thereby  securing  a  thrilling  Wyandot  victory  over  its  dejected  rival.

This  victory  was  the  start  of  what  would  be  an  amazing  stretch   of  golf  for  central  Ohio  golf  fans  and  Wyandot's  players  in  particular.  First,  Johnny  Florio  promptly  followed  up  the  team's  big  win  by  emerging  victorious  in  the  Central  Ohio  Amateur  at  Shawnee  Country  Club  in  Lima.  Johnny  had  already  enjoyed  success  in  1931   as  a  junior  star   on  the  George  Sargent  coached  Ohio  State  golf  team.  Florio  won   his  way  to  the  semi-finals  of  the  NCAA  golf  championship  where  he  was  bested  by  OSU  teammate  Bob  Kepler.  Just  prior  to  that   good  showing,  Johnny   managed  to  make  the  cut  competing  against  the  top  tour  pros  in  the  Western  Open.  Given  his  good  form  and  the  fact  he  would  be  competing  on  his  home  track,  the  scribes  established  Johnny  as  the clear  favorite  to  stretch   the  amazing  Elks'-Wyandot   string  of   Ohio  Amateur  wins  to  five  straight.

But  before  the  Amateur  would  be  contested,  there  were  two  other  golf  events  of  global  significance  to  take  place  in  Ohio-  the  Ryder  Cup  at  Scioto  (preceded  by  the  U.S  team  qualifier  in  which  Denny  Shute  would  be  participating),  and  the  United  States  Open  at  Toledo's  Inverness.  What  a  smorgasbord  of  golf !

Acknowledgements:  Shirley  Hyatt,  Betty  Huber,  Bill  Huber,  Columbus  Metropolitan   Library  archives  of  Ohio  State  Journal,  Columbus  Dispatch,  and  Columbus  Citizen;  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library,  "Columbus  Memory"  Scripps- Howard  Newspaper/  Grandview  Heights  Public  Library/ collection

Next   Chapter:   "Three  Weeks"




No comments:

Post a Comment