Thursday, March 6, 2014

Elks'- Wyandot's "Long Goodbye"- The Saga of a Lost Donald Ross Classic

The   1931  Ryder   Cup  teams  
(lowest  right-  Denny  Shute)

Chapter  10:  "Three  Weeks"

By  June,  1931,  Wyandot  product  Denny  Shute  had  certainly  made  a  name  for  himself  on  the  PGA  tour.  A  player  good  enough  to  have  won  The  Los  Angeles  and  Texas  Opens  obviously  had  to  be  reckoned  with.  But  his  achievements  to  date   left  him  a  couple  of  steps  below  the  the   likes  of  Sarazen,  Hagen,  and  Armour.   A  good  performance  on  the  1931  Ryder  Cup's  international  stage  at  Scioto would  go  a  long  way  toward  further  elevating  Denny's  status  in  the  game.  But  first,  he  had  to  make  the   team!  That  meant  posting  one  of  the  four  best   scores  in  a  special  qualifier  held  during  Ryder  Cup  week  at  Scioto.   His  fellow  twelve  competitors  in  the  qualifier  (picked  by  a  PGA  committee)  included  stars  like   Craig  Wood,  Billy  Burke,  and  Olin  Dutra,  all  of  whom  would  win  major  championships  during  their  careers.
It  may  surprise  golf  aficionados  to  know  that  in  these  days  of  "captain's  picks,"  a  special   qualifier  was   held,  and  that  U.S.  Captain  Walter  Hagen  would  not  learn  the  identities  of  four  of  his  1931  team's  members   until  shortly  before   the  start  of  competition.  And  that  1931  qualifier  proved  to  be  the  ultimate  grind:   72  holes  in  two  days  in  100  degree  temperatures!   Notwithstanding   the  heat,  most  of  the  players,   including  Denny  Shute,   were  attired  in  ties,    long-sleeved  shirts ,  and  plus-fours!   Wiffy  Cox,  Craig  Wood,  and  Billy  Burke  claimed   three  of  the  berths,  but  a  three-way  tie  between  Denny,  Frank  Walsh,  and  Henry  Ciuci  for  the  final  opening  meant  more  golf  for  them.  Despite the  fact  that   foursome  matches  loomed  on  Friday,  the  PGA  brass   decreed  that  Shute,  Walsh,  and  Ciuci   would  decide  things  with  a  further  18  hole  playoff  on  Wednesday.

Ciuci  faded  early  in  Wednesday's   withering  cauldron,  and  picked  up  on  the  par  3  17th.  Denny  birdied  that  same  hole  to  wrest  the  lead  by  one  from  Walsh.  On  the  18th  green,  Walsh  stood  over  a  four  foot  putt  to  tie  Shute  and  force   yet  another  18  hole  playoff  on  Thursday.  He  missed.  Frank  Walsh  had  lost  the  best  opportunity  he  would  ever  have  to  play  in  the  Ryder  Cup.  Denny  had   made  the  squad!
                   (top)  Ciuci  and  Walsh  congratulate  Denny  Shute;
                   (bottom)   Denny  and  Maddie  celebrate  Denny's
                   making  the  U.S.  Ryder  Cup  team                      

Things  were  not  going  well  for   the  visitors  even  prior   to  Friday's  foursomes.  Three  of  their  best  players  had  been  disqualified  for  trivial  reasons.   Henry  Cotton  committed  the   no-no  of  failing  to  sail  over  with  the  rest  of  the  team.   Cotton   showed  up  at  Scioto  anyway,   but  was  relegated  to  playing   an  exhibition  match   with  Bobby  Jones.  British  stalwarts  Aubrey  Boomer  and  Percy  Allis  were  also  dinged  for  having  golf  club  affiliations  outside  GB&I.  To  make  matters  worse,  the  Brits   had  difficulty  coping  with  Columbus's  blistering   heat.  There  was  also  additional  consternation   generated  by   the  PGA's  decision  to  disallow   the  smaller  ball  approved  for  play  outside  the  U.S.  by  the  R & A.

Walter  Hagen  chose  to  take  the  exhausted   Shute  under  his  wing  as  his  partner  for  the  opening  36  hole  foursomes  (alternate  shot).   When  Denny  confided  to  the  captain  that  he  was  having  some  difficulty  with  fairway  wood  shots,   Hagen  arranged  the  batting  order   so  that  he  would  be  hitting  the  brassie,  spoon,  and  cleek  second  shots.  Meshing  perfectly,  the  two  great  match  players   trounced  George  Duncan  and  Arthur  Havers  10  and  9.  Afterwards,  Hagen  expressed  pleasure  with  his  rookie  partner's  steady  golf  given  that  Denny  was  making  his  debut  in  the  pressure  cooker  of  the  Ryder  Cup.   The  Citizen's  Russ  Needham  pointed  out  that  these  were  not  idle  words  from  the  Haig  for  the  benefit  of  a  hometown  boy  as  "he  showed  a  few  minutes  later  when  he  announced  Shute  would  be  in  the  lineup  for  the  singles  play  Saturday  and  that  the  player  to  come  out  of  the  lineup  was  not  Shute,  or  any  of  the  other  youngsters,  but  the  veteran  Leo  Diegel,  one  of  the  four  best  golfers  in  the  United  States  and  present  holder  of  the  National  P.G.A.  championship." 

                                     1931  Ryder  Cup  captain  Walter  Hagen

Buoyed  by  the  confidence  placed  in  him  by  Sir  Walter,  Denny  rolled  to  an  8  and  6  victory  in  his  36  hole  singles  match  against   Bert  Hodson.  The  U.S.  took   the  Cup  back  stateside   by  a  lopsided  margin  of  9  to  3.  Denny  Shute's  first  Ryder  Cup  experience,  though  exhausting,  had  been  most  rewarding.  He  emerged  with  two  blowout  victories  and  a  big  boost  to  his  prestige.  Moreover,  any  residual  Columbus  resentment  prompted   by  Denny's  move  north  dissipated   in  the  glow  of  his  success.  Billy  Burke  also  won  his  two  matches.   Both  he  and  Denny  headed  to  Inverness   with  momentum.

                                                                Billy  Burke

Had  Denny  Shute  complained   about  being   subjected  to  an  inordinately  arduous  qualifier,  he   would  have  received  little  sympathy  from   Burke  and  George  Von   Elm   following   their  marathon  battle  at  the  following  week's  United  States  Open.  After  72  holes,  Burke  and  Von Elm  were  deadlocked  with  scores  of  292.  The  USGA  rules  then  called  for  a  36  hole  playoff.  Von   Elm,  the  1926  U.S.  Amateur  champion,  birdied  the  last  hole  of  that  playoff  to  force  another  tie.  The  tie  would  be  broken  by - what  else- another  36  hole  playoff!  Finally  Burke  nudged  ahead  and  edged  Von  Elm  by  one  stroke.  After  144  holes,  Billy  Burke  had   finally  won  what  would  turn  out  to  be  his   only  major  championship.  He  also  became  the  first  player  to  win   the  championship  using  steel-shafted  clubs.   Shute  finished  back  in  the  pack  at  T-25.

                    George  Von  Elm  (left);  winner  Billy  Burke  (right)

Even  before  Von  Elm  and  Burke  had  concluded  their  epic  playoff,  Wyandot  was  already  busy  hosting  qualifying  rounds  for  golfers  attempting  to  earn  their  way  into  the  state  amateur   field.   32  survivors  from   the  qualifier   would  compete  at  match  play  for  the  James  Cox  trophy.  The  intense  front-of-the-sports  page   coverage  provided  by  the  Columbus  Dispatch,  Ohio  State  Journal,  and  Columbus  Citizen  suggests  that  local   interest  in  the  championship   rivaled  that  exhibited  for  the  Ryder  Cup.

While  all  the  members  were  excited  that  this  prestigious  event  had  been  awarded  to  Wyandot,  some  expressed  concern  the  field  might  shoot  embarrassingly  low  scores  give  the  course's  relatively  short  length  of  6393  yards.  Members  of  other  clubs  would  sometimes  refer  to  the  course  as  a  "Tom  Thumb  layout."  Wyandot's  Glen  Bishop,  the  surprise  state  amateur  champion  of  1930  tackled  this  ticklish  subject  with  the  Citizen's  Russ  Needham,  and  sounded  a  warning:  "There  isn't  a  course  in  the  country ,  I  don't  suppose,  where  care,   precision,  and  variety  is  as  necessary  on  tee  shots  as  up  at  Wyandot.  Two  or  three  practice  rounds  on  the  course  will  be  vitally  necessary  to  get  the  peculiarities  of  the  course  well  in  mind.  Even  then  a  player,  unless  he  stops  and  thinks  each  time  he  climbs   up  on  a  tee,  is  apt  to  get  himself  in  unexpected  trouble."   Bishop  predicted  that  "...errors  will  be  frequent  and  costly  because  on  most  courses  the  drive is  just  a  mechanical  swat  with  the  art  beginning  from  the  second  shot  on."

The  results  of  the  36  hole  qualifier  were  positively  rapturous  from  the  viewpoint  of  the  Wyandot  members.  The  course  had  proved  surprisingly   resistant  to low  scoring,   A  score  of  164  had  been  good  enough  for  match   play- the  highest  qualifying  total  in  memory!  Scribe  Needham  got  a  kick  out  of  the  livid  reactions  of  frustrated  players  who  missed  out.  "Alibis  flew  around  thicker  than  flies  on  a  cherry  pie.  And  the  Wyandot  members,  congregated  in  one  section  of  the  locker  room,   listened  and  laughed.  Wyandot  may  be  short,  but  it  surely  isn't  so  sweet,  except  for  the   player  who  really  hits  his  shots."

Not  surprisingly,  the  medalist  with  a  score  of  143  was  Wyandot's  own  Johnny  Florio.  Needham  was  already  labeling  the  tournament  as  "more  or  less  of  a  'Johnny  Florio  state  amateur'. "   By  conclusion  of  Tuesday's  play  he  had  already  won  three  awards:  medalist  honors,  the  driving  contest  (average  of  265  yards  on  three  blasts),  and  a  shared  prize  with  three  other  Wyandot  members  for  having  the  best  quartet  of  qualifying  scores  of  any  quartet  of  members  hailing  from  the  same  club.  But  best  of  all,  an  astounding  seven   Wyandot  members  (22%  of  the  competitors)  would  be  taking  part  in  match  play.  In  addition  to  Johnny  and  Glen  Bishop,  other  Wyandot  qualifiers  included  Allen  Tracewell,  Norman  Seidensticker,  Frank  Lewis,  Austin  Shannon,  and  club  champion  Joe  Outhwaite.  19  of   the  32  qualifiers  were  affiliated  with  Columbus  courses.

The  match  play  qualifiers were  required  to  survive  two  matches  on  Wednesday.   Florio  won  both  of  his  games   handily  with  5  and  4   victories.   Lewis,   Bishop,  and  Seidensticker  made  it  to  the  afternoon  round  of  16.  But   then  Bishop  was  dethroned  in  extra  holes.  Seidensticker   scored  an  upset  win  over  former  Columbus  District   champion  Raleigh  Lee.  Lewis,  however,  was  annihilated  by   Florio's  Ohio  State  teammate  Bob  Kepler  8  and  7.  If  there  was  a  second  betting  favorite  behind  Johnny,  it  would  have  been  his  teammate  Kepler.   Still  in   excellent  form  after  making  it  to  the  finals  of  the  NCAA  tournament  as  well  as   a  victory  in  the  Columbus  District  tournament,  he  was  poised  to  make  a  strong  challenge.

It  is  possible  that  Johnny  may  have  been  looking  ahead  when  he  faced  fellow  member  Norman   Seidensticker  in  the  quarterfinals.  Norman,  a  former  Notre  Dame  golf  team  captain,  and  Columbus  District  medalist,  gave  Florio  an  unexpected  scare.    The  match  lasted  to  18  with  Florio  escaping  unscathed with  a  1  up  triumph.

 Florio   would  then  face  James "Scotty"  Reston  of  Dayton  in  the  semis.   Reston,   had  just  been  named  the  team   captain  of  the  golf  team  at  the  University  of  Illinois  where   he  was  studying  journalism.   Scotty  demonstrated  early  aptitude  for  golf,  and  won  Ohio's  1927  High  School  championship.   He  was  spending  his  summer  employed  as  the  starter  at  another  Clintonville   course,  Indian  Springs.  Coincidentally,  Reston  knew  well  the  namesake  for  the  championship  trophy,  newspaper  publisher  and  Ohio  Governor  James  Cox,  having  caddied  many  rounds  for  him  at  the  Dayton  Country Club.

                                                James "Scotty"  Reston

Johnny  had  already  beaten  Reston  in  the  NCAA  tournament,  so  it  was  no  surprise when  Florio  quickly  gained  the  upper  hand  in  their  semifinal  match.   He  held  a  two  up  lead  after  6  holes   after  canning  a  birdie  4.  But  Reston's  spectacular  play  on  Wyandot's  back  nine  turned  the  match  around.  By  the  time the  players  reached  the  16th,  Florio  was  one  down. When  Johnny's  tying  6  footer  stayed  out,  Reston  was  dormie.  After  the 17th  was  halved   with  pars,  Johnny  had  been  eliminated  2  and  1.   Kepler  advanced  to  the  final  with  a  taut  1  up  victory  over  Arlington's  Theron  Green. Kepler's  brilliant  second  shot  to  the  green  on  the  final  hole  clinched   the  hole  and  the  match.

The  36  hole  final  pitted  two  Western  Conference  (forerunner  to  the  Big  10)  foes  and  Dayton  natives. They  had  met  twice  before  in  high  school  and  Dayton  district  play  splitting  the  two  matches.  Kepler got  off  to  a  decidedly  inauspicious  start,  badly   hooking  his  tee  shot  on  the  first  hole.  The  ball  bounced  off  a  tree  and  into  the  ravine.  After  7  holes,  Reston  enjoyed  a  3  up  advantage.  But  then  Reston   lost  the  par  3  8th  to  Kepler's   par.  Bob  capitalized   on  the  opening  with  birdies  on  10  and  11  to  square  the  match.   By  lunch,  he  enjoyed  a  one  up  lead.  By  the  afternoon's  7th  hole,  Reston  had  fallen  to  3  down,  but  Kepler  faltered  with  bogies  on  8  and  9.   Scotty  was   only  one  hole  down  at  the  turn.  But,  as  Glen  Bishop  had  prognosticated,  poor  tee  shots  were  the  difference  in  the  match.  Two  hooked  tee  shots  on  10  and  12  cost  Reston  two  holes  he  could  ill  afford  to  lose.  His  badly  topped  brassie  second  shot  on  15  gutted  any  lingering  hope  of  recovery.  Kepler   had  won  the  match  and  the  championship  4  and 3.

Despite  the  fact  that  its  string  of  Ohio  Amateur  champions  had  been  snapped,  it  had  been  a  superlative  week  for  Wyandot  and  its members.  The  course  had  proved  to  be  a  great  test  of  golf.  Players  who  consistently  hit  accurate   tee  shots  scored  well.  But  foolishly  smashing   the  driver  when  a  cleek  would  have  been  the  more  prudent   choice   caused  the   scores  of  many  of  Ohio's  best  to  balloon.  Russ  Needham  summed  up  by  saying,  "it's   a  tricky  course  where scores  may  be  either  very  low  or  amazingly  high.  But  it abounds  in  interesting  holes.  And  its  scenery  is  delightful."  

What  happened  to  the  two  finalists,  Bob  Kepler  and  Scotty  Reston?  Their  lives  traveled  down  very  different  paths.  Kepler  became  the  golf  coach  at  Ohio  State  University.  He enjoyed  a  long  tenure  there  (only  one  year  less  than  that  of  Woody  Hayes)  from  1938   to  1965.  He  coached  the  team  to  the  1945  NCAA  championship,  and mentored  great  players  like  Johnny  Lorms,  Tom  Nieporte  (both  individual  NCAA  champions)  and  Tom  Weiskopf. .  But  he  will  forever  be  remembered  as  Jack  Nicklaus's  college  coach.  Under  Kepler's  guidance,  Jack   twice  won  the   NCAA  championship.  Jack  also  gives  credit  to  Kepler  for  teaching  him  how  to  fish.  But  as  we  have  seen,  Kepler  could  play  a  little  golf  too!  

Bob  Kepler

The  other  finalist  capitalized  on  his  association  with  James  Cox.   After  college,  he   was  hired  by  the  Dayton  Daily  News,  a   Cox-owned  newspaper.  After  a  brief  sojourn  in  public  relations  with  Ohio  State  and  the  Cincinnati  Reds,  Scotty   landed  a  job   with  the  Associated  Press  in  New  York  City.  From  1937  to  1939,  he  was  stationed  in  London  covering  the  Nazi  blitz  of  that  city  for  AP.  After  a  stellar  performance  in  that  post,  Reston  joined  the  New  York  Times  and  was  transferred  to  the  paper's  Washington  bureau.  Ultimately  he  was  given  his  own  column.  Before  he  was  finished,  he  would  interview  eight  presidents.  He  received  two  Pulitzer  Prizes  for  journalism.  James  Reston  became  the  most  influential  journalist  of  his  era. 

Acknowledgements:  Library  of  Congress;  archives  of  Ohio  State  Journal,  Columbus  Citizen,  and  Columbus  Dispatch   and  "Columbus  Memory"  all  of  which  are  housed  in the  archives  of  the  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library;  Scripps-Howard  Newspaper/ Grandview  Heights  Public  Library/ collection    

Next  Chapter  12:  "End  of  a  Great  Elk"

No comments:

Post a Comment