Thursday, January 2, 2014

Elks'-Wyandot's "Long Goodbye"- The Saga of a Lost Donald Ross Classic

Chapter  4:    "Play  Away  Mr.  Kaufman!"

Saturday,  June  16,  1923  was   a  great  day  to  be  a member  of  BPOE,  Columbus  Lodge  No. 37.  The  long  awaited  unveiling  of  the  Lodge's  new  Donald  Ross designed  golf  course  was  now  a  reality.  The  course  would  be the  first  anywhere  to be  owned  and  operated by  a  BPOE  lodge!    Two  Elks  had  to  be  really  keyed up:  John  W.  Kaufman  and  his 33  year  old  son  Harold.  For  John  W.,  the  ceremony  marked  the  crowning  achievement  of  several  years  of  tireless  effort  on  behalf  of  Lodge  No, 37.  His  service  as  chair of  the  Lodge's  building  committee  had  resulted  in  the  acquisition  of  its  magnificent  downtown  home;  he  had  found  the  land  and  buildings  for  the  Lodge's  "country  home,"  arranged   for  their   purchase,  and  hired  the  greatest  architect  in  the  land  to  design  a  championship  golf  course  on  the  grounds.  John  W.  was  a  proud  man,  and  he  no  doubt  viewed  it  as  a  matter  of  import   that  his   course  be  favorably  received  by  fellow  Elks  and   Columbus's  golf  community.

As   Saturday  morning  approached,   Harold  had  his  own  reasons  for  being  anxious. As  chair  of  the  golf  committee, he   had  been   entrusted  with  the  responsibility  of  making   sure   that    Donald  Ross's  blueprints  were  followed  and  that  the  course  was  ready  for  play  by  its  scheduled   debut.   But   poor  spring  weather  had   interfered  with  the  progress  of  putting  the  course  into  top  shape.  There  was  only  so  much  that  the  committee  and  greenkeeper  Lawrence  Huber  could  do.  The  greens,  though  growing  in  satisfactorily,  were bumpy;  the  fairway  grass  was  still  a  little  soft  and  spotty  in  a  few  places.  The course  would  simply  not  be  at  its  best  by  Saturday's  festivities.  Harold   could  only  hope  that  the  onlookers  would  understand  the  reasons  for  the  course's  lack  of  conditioning,  and  would  focus   instead  on  its  beauty,  and  Donald  Ross's  impeccable  routing  of   the  holes.  As  E.H.  Peniston  of  the  Ohio  State  Journal   noted  in  his  article  the  day  following  the  opening  ceremony, "there  are  carries  over  ravines,  many  bits  of  woods  to  lose  shots  on,  brooks  and  a  lake  to  plunge  into,  and  many  well-placed  traps."

But  there  was   another  reason  why   Harold  might  have  lost   sleep  in  advance  of  June  16.  It  had  been  determined   that  by  virtue    of  his  hard  work  as  chair  of  the  committee,   he   should  be  accorded   the  honor  of  opening   the  course  by   hitting  the  very  first  drive  off  hole  off  number  1.  There  would  be  a  big  crowd  eyeballing  the  inaugural  drive,  and  Harold   wanted  it  to  be  a  good  one. 

There  was  a  third  man  who  wanted  very  much  to  make  a  good  impression  that  Saturday:   newly  appointed  golf  professional  Lloyd  Gullickson.  Most  of  the  Elks  would  be  getting  their  first  look  at  the  young  strapping  Illinois  native.  They  had  heard  he  was  a  pretty  fair  player.  Young  Lloyd   had  won  honors   as   golf  champion  of  the  Navy  in  1918.  After he  was  discharged,  he  made  a  surprising  run   in  the   '22  U.S. Open  at  Skokie  C.C., outside  Chicago.     After  a  sterling  70  in  the  tournament's  second  round  placed  him  only  5  back,  it  seemed   Lloyd   stood   a  realistic  chance.  He  faded  thereafter,  but  still  finished  a  respectable  T28   losing  out  to  the  20  year  old  new  golf  star  Gene  Sarazen,  .  The  payoff  for  competing  in  the  major  championships  was  not  prize  money  (Sarazen's  first  prize  at  Skokie  was  $500;  Gullickson's  fine  showing  earned  him  nothing).  What  really  mattered  was  that  a  good  finish  in  a  major  championship  would  bring  recognition  which  could  help  struggling  young   pros  like  Lloyd  land  a  steady  club  professional   job.  His  strong  Open  performance  certainly  helped  his  cause  in  becoming  the  first  Elks'  pro.  The  members  would   observe   Lloyd's  game  first-hand  that  Saturday.   To  commemorate  the  opening,  three  other  local  pros  would  be  joining  Gullickson  in  a  four-ball   exhibition  match.   While  Lloyd  was  used  to  high-level  competition,  he  nevertheless  would  be  feeling  some  pressure  to  give  a  good  account  of  himself  in  front  of  the BPOE  golfers  with  whom  he   would  be  dealing   in  his  new  job.

Saturday's  proceedings  commenced  with  the  dignitaries  marching to  enthusiastic  applause  from  the   locker  house  facility  ("a  model  for  completeness  of  accommodations"  according  to   E.H.  Peniston)  to  the  dais   fronting  the  country  house.  Then,  Old  Glory was  raised  to the  top  of  the  flagpole  by  Master  Richard  "Dick"  Royer  Price, the  son  of   Lodge  37's  Past  Exalted   Ruler.  Young  Dick  appears  in  the  photo  below  to  be  around  4  years  old-  the   same  age  as  John  Altmaier  when  he  had  performed   the  flag raising  honors  two  years  before  at  the  country  home  dedication.  Perhaps  young  Master  Altmaier,  now  a  doddering  six  year old,  was  considered  too long  in  the  tooth  to  reprise  his  role!

Mr.  Price,  as  master  of  ceremonies,  then  called  on  John  W. Kaufman,  the  man  without  whose  efforts  the  course  would  never  have  become  a  reality-  "the  first  in  the  history  of   Elkdom  in  the  U.S."   John  W.,  in  keeping  with  Elks  tradition,  "presented  the  club"  to  Lodge  37's  most  current  Grand  Exalted  Ruler,  Robert  Beatty.  Columbus  Mayor  James  Thomas,  lending  some  political  punch  to  the  occasion,   praised the   lodge  and  the  Kaufmans  for  their   tremendous  achievement.  Finally,   Harold   Kaufman  rose  to  address  the  throng.  It  did  not  go  unnoticed  that   a  changing  of  the  guard  between  father  and  son  Kaufman  seemed   to  be  taking  place.  John  W.  had  already  ceded  day-to-day  control  of  Marble  Cliff  Quarries  to  Harold.  Now,  Harold  was  front-and-center  on  the  Golf   Committee  and  making  what  amounted   to  the  valedictorian  address  of  the  ceremony.  Harold  expressed  confidence  that  the  course  would develop into  a "splendid"  one,  and  further  remarked  that  its  availability  would  add  to  the  already  broad  range  of   activities  of  the  local  lodge.

Then  something  happened  that  Harold  was  not  expecting.  In  tribute to  his  unstinting  efforts  in  leading  the  Golf  Committee  through  the  construction  phase,  The  Elks  bestowed  upon  him  a  life  membership  in  the  BPOE  with  the  accompanying  document  packaged  in  a  gold  case.  On  the  heels  of  this  surprise,  Harold  had  to  gather  himself  and  focus  on  his  next  task  of  striking  the  opening  blow  off  the  first  tee.   Sporting  fashionable  plus-fours,  the  bespectacled  Harold  carefully  teed  his  ball  which  had  been  painted  Elks'  colors of  purple  and  white  especially  for  the  occasion,  and  took  aim.  To  his  relief  and  the  crowd's  delight,  he   struck   a  beauty  "across  a  treacherous  gulley  and  straight  up  the  first  fairway."  Though  the  photograph  of  the  drive  was  snapped  over   90  years  ago,    Harold's  well-balanced  follow through  would  evidence  a  good  shot  both  then  and  now.

 Below:    top  left   is  Harold  Kaufman's  opening  strike;  top  center  shows  part  of  the  opening  ceremony  in  front  of  the  clubhouse;  top  right  is  Mayor  James  Thomas  making  his  address;  Bottom  left  shows  John  W.  Kaufman  presenting  the  course  to  the  lodge;  bottom  right  is  the  new  locker  house  with  caddies  ready  to  go  (click on  photo  to  see  more  detail).

Harold's  tee  ball  was  followed  by  drives of   three  other  golfers  who  made  up  the  first  official  foursome.  Two  of  them  were  Arthur  Shannon and  T.V.  Taylor  who  served  with  Harold  on  the  golf  committee.  Rounding  out  the first  group  to  play  the  course  was  the  event's   honorary  guest - W.O. Henderson,  identified  by  the  daily newspapers  as  "the  dean  of  Columbus  golfers." 

Once  the  inaugural  group  was  out  of  range,  the  spectators   waited  with  anticipation  for  the  main  event-  a  four-ball match  of  local  professionals  featuring  Lloyd  Gullickson,  the  first professional  at  Elks'  Country  Club.   However,  one  of  his  opponents  was   no  ordinary  club  pro!  Scioto's  professional  George  Sargent  had  long  been  recognized  as  one  of  the  game's  finest  players.  An  Englishman  by  birth,  Sargent  had  showed  natural   aptitude  for game  when  at  age  19,  he  finished  T-31st  in  the 1901  British  Open  at  St. Andrews.  He  emigrated  to  Canada  thereafter  where  he  became  the  pro  at  Royal  Ottawa  Golf  Club.   He  found  his  way  to  another  club  job  in  Vermont,  and then  entered  the  1909  United  States  Open  at  Englewood  Golf  Club  in  New  Jersey.  Playing  steadily,  he  hung  close  to  the  lead  through  three  rounds.  A  sterling  71  on  the  final   brought  him  home  clear  by  four  shots  over  Tim  McNamara.  Sargent's  total  of  290  was  a  new  Open  record. He  received  $300  prize  money.  While  he  never  repeated  as champion,  George  was  a  consistent   threat  to  win  the  U.S. Open   for  the  next  seven  years.  His  finishes  starting  in  1910   and  ending  in  1916:  T16, T7, 6, T21, T3, T10, and T4.  Once   he  became  Scioto's  first  pro, (and  revolutionizing  golf   instruction  by   being    the  first  to  use  motion  pictures  to analyze  the  golf  swing)  Sargent  appeared  infrequently  in  tournaments.   However,  he  still  had  enough  game   to  finish  T29  at  the  U.S. Open  less than  a  month after  the  exhibition  at  The Elks.

                                                 George  Sargent

Lloyd  Gullickson  knew  Sargent  and  4-ball  partner  Herb  Vallette  of  Winding  Hollow  would  make  for  formidable  opponents.  But  Lloyd  was  comforted  by  the  knowledge  that  Charlie  Lorms  was  going  to  be  his  partner.  Charlie  had  recently   moved south  from  Toledo  where  he  had  served  as  pro  for  three  years  at  Inverness,  a  fabulous  Ross  course  that  had  hosted  the  1920  U.S. Open.  No  doubt  it  occurred  to  Lloyd  that  Charlie  would  have  some  good  advice to  offer  on  how  a  new club  pro   could  ingratiate  himself  to  the membership.   But  Charlie  could  play  too!  He  managed  to  play  all  four  rounds  at  Inverness  in   the  '20  Open.  Lorms' current   affiliation  was   Walnut  Hills,  but  he  would  shortly  take  the  head  pro  job  at  Columbus Country  Club  where  he  would  serve   for  37  years.  During   his  tenure,  Charlie    found  time  to  design  two  notable  courses  in  the  Columbus  environs:   Brookside  and  Worthington  Hills.  With  its  strategic  doglegs and  elevated  greens,  Brookside  has  the  look  of  a  Donald  Ross  design.  Charlie  Lorms'  familiarity  with  Inverness  and  Columbus  (both  Donald  Ross  designs)  undoubtedly   influenced  his  work.

                                       Charlie  Lorms  (right)  in  1940

Although  he  was  off  line  with  some  of  his  long  tee shots,  Lloyd  Gullickson  was  the  star  of  the  match  on  the  front  nine  leading  his  team  to  a  three-up  lead.  Despite  his  team's  deficit,  George  Sargent  was   the  most  consistent  player, "his  drives  being  in   the  fairway  most  of  the  time,  and  his  putts  always  going  for  the  cup."  However,  unfamiliarity  with yardages  (no  yardage  markers  back  then)  cost  Sargent  a   better   score.   Charlie  kept  the  Lorms- Gullickson  partnership  comfortably  ahead  on  the  back  nine  with  some  inspired  play of  his  own,  and   the  two   younger  men  prevailed  4 and 3.  The  BPOE  lodge  members   had  to  be  pleased  that  its  new   pro  had  made  a  good  showing,   even  defeating    a  former  U.S. Open  champion.

Best  of  all,  the  course  received  rave  reviews  from  the  scribes.   The  Dispatch's  Karl  Finn  wrote  that  the "natural  beauty  of  the  course  attracted  the  spectators  and  golfers  as  much  as  the  play  did."  Moreover,  the  "many  trees  and  the  stream  that  runs through  the  course  add  to  its  splendid  appearance." Finn  was  particularly  partial  to  the  137  yard  par  3  14th   over  a  small lake  which  he  rated  "the  most  interesting  hole."  He  also  liked  the  first  hole,  "an attractive  dog's  leg  to  the  left  which  will  require  a  long  straight  drive  to  clear  the  ditch  and  stay  on  the  fairway."   The  OSJ's  Peniston    penned  that   the  Elks  course  "is  a  beauty  spot,  different  from  other  local  courses  except  Winding  Hollow  [now  Champions]  which  is  somewhat   similar.  It  affords  restful  views  to  the  eyes  and  cooling  shade  along  the  way  where  one  may  stop  and  enjoy  it   all  when  not  bent  on  a  record-breaking  score.  It  is  a  course  that  will  grow  on  one  and  never  grow  dull  or  tiresome,  and  be  a spot  perhaps  like  many  of  the  English  courses- one  that  golfers  will  like  to  go  back  once  in  a  while  and  enjoy  it-  especially  the  first  nine  holes."

John  W.   and  Harold  Kaufman  had  to  be  thrilled  with  the  positive  press.  But  even  in  the  glow  of  the  course's  smash  opening,  the  Elks  could  not   rest.  There  was  the  need  to  obtain   new  Elks-  particularly  golfing  Elks - to  defray  expenses  of  operation.   The  course  was  thus opened  to  the  public  the  following  Monday,  Tuesday,  Thursday,  and  Friday  in  hopes  of  gaining  a  few  more  members.

Lloyd  Gullickson   worked   as  The  Elks'  professional  through  the  1926  golf  season.  In  this  madcap  era  of  flagpole  sitting  and  marathon  dancing,  "Gully"  took  part  in  a  similar  act  of  tomfoolery.  Perched  precariously  atop   Columbus's  new  47  story   downtown  A.I.U.  tower  (now  the  LeVeque  Tower),  he  drove  a  golf  ball  far  into  the  distance.  Afterwards,  he  moved  to  Westwood  Country  Club  in  Cleveland  for  the  1927  season.  He  won  the  Ohio  Open  in  1934.  Later   he  became  the  professional   at  Inverness   in  1945.  Lloyd  had  a  tough  act  to  follow  at  Inverness  as  he  succeeded  Byron  Nelson  as  the  club's  professional.  He  served   there  until  he  retired  in 1965.  But  one  of  his  most  interesting  golf  experiences  was  the  match   he  played  in  1934  partnering  with  the  incomparable  Babe  Didrickson   against  Glenna  Collett  Vare  (at  the  time  the  best  female  player)  and  her  partner  Babe  Ruth.  Didrickson  was  just  learning  the  game,  having  won  her  track  and   field  Olympic  medals  just  two  years  before.  But  Didrickson   was  much  further  along  in  becoming  proficient  at   the  game  than   baseball's  Babe,  and  she  and  Lloyd   won  easily.

        Lloyd  Gullickson,  Glenna  Collett  Vare,  Babe Ruth,  and  Babe            Didrickson

1923  also  saw  another  significant  development  adjacent  to  the  Elks  course.  In  order  to   speed  up  its   interurban  operations,  The  Columbus,  Delaware &  Marion  Railway  Company  opened  the  Worthington  Bypass,  a   portion  of  which  was  routed  along  the  eastern  border  of  the  property.
The  picture  immediately  below  is  of  one  of  the  CD&M interurban  trains crossing  a  mammoth  wooden  trestle  that  was  located  just  north  of  Worthington.  The  lower  photo  is  of  an  interurban  on  the  tracks  on  Sandusky  Street  in  Delaware.  Elks  course  players  were  treated  to  the sight  of  the  interurban  scooting  by the  premises  until  1933.


Next  Chapter  5:    "The  Home  of  Champions!"

Acknowledgements:    Columbus  Dispatch:  article  by  Karl  T.  Finn;  Ohio  State  Journal  photos  and  article  by  E.H.  Peniston,;   archives  of  the  Library  of  Congress; flickr Getty  archives;  Columbus   Metropolitan  Library  newspaper  archives;   Scripps-Howard  Newspaper/Grandview  Heights  Public  Library /  Collection,



No comments:

Post a Comment