Friday, January 10, 2014

Elks'- Wyandot's "Long Goodbye"- The Saga of a Lost Donald Ross Classic

Chapter  6:   Denny  Shute  and  the  "Maker  of  Champions"

Lloyd   Gullickson's  resignation  after  the  1926  season  necessitated  the  search  for  a  new  golf  professional.   The  opening  attracted   200  applications.  On  January  20  1927,  Elks'  Country  Club  announced  the  hiring  of   Herman  Shute,  most  recently  the  pro  at  Spring  Valley  Country  Club  in  Huntington,  West  Virginia.  49  year  old  Shute,  like  Scioto's  pro  George  Sargent,  had  come   to  America   from   England   in  1901.  Like  many  of  the  old  pros  who  emigrated  from   the  old  sod,  Herman  was  an  accomplished  club maker.  It  was  also  noted  in  the  announcement  that  Herman's  22  year  old  son  Densmore,  "has  twice  been  amateur  champion  of  West  Virginia."  However,  it  would  have  been  natural  for   local  golf  pundits  to   question  whether  triumphs  in  the   less  golf-developed  "Mountain  State"   would  translate  to  success  for  Denny  in  hotly  competitive  Columbus.  Would   he  even  win  The  Elks'  club  championship?

Quiet  reserved  Denny   made  an  immediate  splash  by  setting  the  amateur  course  record  at  Elks'.  All  who  watched  him  were  impressed   with  his  Fred  Couples  like "swing  easy- hit  hard"  style.   He  raised  eyebrows  further  in  mid-June  by   qualifying  along  with  pros  Charlie  Lorms  and  George  Sargent  for  the  upcoming  U.S.  Open.  He  was  just  getting  started.  The  week  following   the  Open  qualifier  found  Denny  competing  at  Walnut  Cliffs  in  the  Columbus  District  Golf  Association  championship  tournament.  With  only one  close  call,  Shute  cruised  through  his  matches  to  the  36  hole  final.    Perhaps  emulating  movie  star  Ronald  Colman,  Denny  sported  a  trim  mustache  when  facing  Scioto's   E.  Cutler  Dawes.  Shute  won  easily   8 and 7.  However,  his  victory  took  a  backseat  to  another  headliner,  Charles  Lindbergh,  who  was  being  feted in  New  York  upon  his  return  from  France.

After  receiving   the  "Dispatch  Trophy"  for  his  District  Amateur  win,   Denny  motored  east   to  Wheeling  where  he  spent  the  night  en  route   to   the  U.S.  Open  which  was   to   start   Thursday  at  Pittsburgh's  Oakmont.   Oakmont,  then  as  now,  was  an  extraordinarily  difficult  test.   The  "Silver  Scot"  Tommy  Armour   wound  up  the  winner   with  an  inflated  tally   of  301!  Denny  did  not  break  80,  but   the  course  was  so  brutal   that  his  325  total   still  brought  him  a  T-48  finish  in  his  first  foray  on  a  national  stage.  He  finished  fifth  low  amateur  (low  am  was  always   the  property  of  Bobby  Jones).  Low  Columbus  player  honors  went  to  45  year  old  George  Sargent,  who  outdid  Denny  by   three  shots.

After  his  Saturday  finish  in  Pittsburgh,  Denny  had  no  time  to  rest  on  his  laurels.  He  raced  to   Dayton  to  compete  in  the   Ohio  Amateur  at  Miami  Valley  Country  Club.  It   would  have  been  understandable   had  he  sagged  some  after  this  whirlwind  of  pressure-filled  competitive  golf.  But  Denny  stayed  focused,  and  his  amazing  run  continued  with  a  win  over  Sinclair  Dean  in  the  event's  final  match.   Shute's  victory  marked   the  first   state-wide    championship  won  by  a  Columbus- based  player.   It  would  not  be  the  last!  Other   Elks'  players  would  validate   Denny's  triumph  with  their  own  victories  in  the  state  amateur.   There  was  a  harbinger  of  this  coming  success   in  the  Elks'  team's  victory  at  the  1927  CDGA  team  championship.   The  Elks'  team  of  Denny,  Bill  Deuschle,  Bob  Albright,  and  F.C.  Eickmeyer   stormed  to  the  title  at  Walnut  Cliffs  by  nine  shots  over  Scioto!

  Having  dominated   the  amateurs,   Shute   entered  the  professional  ranks at  the  close  of  the  1927  season  to  gauge  his   capability  of  competing   with  the  likes  of  Tommy Armour,  Walter  Hagen,  and  Gene  Sarazen.  But  his  great  golf  at  The  Elks'  was  not  over.  In  August,  1928,  Denny  fired  what  the  press  deemed   a  "miracle"   round  of  62  over  his  old  home  course.  Shute's  course  record  would  never  be  equaled.

With  Denny  Shute  gone   from  the  scene  of  Ohio amateur  golf,  another   Elks'  stalwart   stepped  up  in  1928.   Bill  Deuschle  was  well-regarded   in  local  golf   circles.  He  had  come   close  to  carrying  off  district  honors  several  times  while  an  Elks'  member.   Bill   switched  his  membership  over  to  Arlington  Golf  Club  just  prior  to   entering   the  '28 District  championship  at  Scioto.   Things  went  well  for  Bill  at  Scioto  as  he  vanquished  every  opponent  en  route  to  the  final.  His  victims  included  Alfred  Sargent  (George's  son),  and  talented  high schooler  Johnny  Florio.  Furthermore,  his  wife  Martha  had  likewise  made it  to  the   final  of  the  Ladies'  Franklin  County  Amateur.  Unfortunately,  both  final  matches   went  poorly  for  Mr.  and  Mrs.  Deuschle.   Bill's   game  went  dreadfully  awry  in  the  last  match  against  Raleigh  W.  Lee,  who  was  advantaged  by  competing  on  his  home  course.  After  a  woeful  84  in  the  morning  round,  Deuschle   found  himself   buried   5  down  to  Lee.  He  played  better  in  the  afternoon,  but  was  still  soundly  trounced  5  and  3.  Martha,  however,  salvaged  some  family  pride  by  coming  home a  winner.

Frustrated  by   another  near-miss,  Bill  resolved  to  give  it  another  go  in  the  '28  Ohio  Amateur  at   Youngstown  C.C. (yet  another  Ross  design).  He  again   played  beautifully  all  the  way  to  the  final   where  he  was  matched  against  four-time  state  amateur  champion  Harold  Weber  of  Toledo.  This  time,  it  was  Deuschle   who  emerged  from  the  morning  with  a  5  up  lead.  It  appeared  that  Bill  might  let  another  title  slip  away  when  Weber  cut  the  lead  to  two   after  23  holes.  But   Weber's  rally  sputtered,  and  Deuschle  won  a  close,  albeit  spottily  played,   final  2  and  1.  While  the  James M.  Cox  trophy  technically  traveled  down   the  road  to  Arlington,  a  piece  of  it  surely  belonged  at  the  Elks'.   The  club   members   took  great  pride  in  the  knowledge  that   a  second  Elks'- honed   player  had  become  the  state  amateur  champion.

An  Elks'  junior  member  claimed  the  club's    third  straight  Ohio  Amateur  in  1929  at  Canton  Brookside.  However,  this  victory  could  not  be  categorized  as  a  total  surprise.  Great  things  had  been  predicted  for  Johnny  Florio  since  1926  when,  still  a  schoolboy,   he  claimed  the  Columbus  district  amateur  title.  He  followed  up  that   success  with  four  municipal  championships  and  a  semifinal  appearance  in  the  U.S.  Publinx  tournament  in  '28  prior  to   joining  The  Elks'.   Johnny,  one  of  fifteen  children,  and  blessed  with  natural   athletic  ability,  starred  in  football,  basketball, and  baseball   at  Columbus's  West  High.  But  golf  was  his  first  love,  and  he  immersed  himself   in  the  game,  playing  and  caddying  every   chance  he  could.  He  became  such  a  sought  after  looper  that  he  toted   for  the  likes  of  Bobby  Jones,  Walter  Hagen,  and  Gene  Sarazen  in    prestigious  events  like  the  Open,  U.S.  Amateur   and  PGA.  Johnny  closely  observed  these  great  players.   It   was  said  that  his  swing  carbon-copied  that   of  Sarazen, who  like  Johnny   was  born  of  Italian  immigrants.    By  the  time  he  joined  The  Elks'  in  '29,  young  Johnny  was  already  a  seasoned  campaigner  with  plenty  of  tournament  experience.   Florio   confidently  breezed  through  the  field  at  Canton  Brookside. Sparked  by  a  holed  bunker  shot,  Johnny  defeated  Cincinnati's  Neil  Remsick  in  the  final  match  4  and  3.  Now  golf  writers  across  the  state  took  note  of   the  fact  that  Florio's victory was  the  third  consecutive  win   in   the  Ohio  Amateur   by  three  different  Elks'  golfers!

 When  the  1930  Ohio  Amateur  at   Toledo  Country  Club  rolled  around,  Johnny  Florio  led  a  contingent  of  six  Elks'  golfers  northward.  Johnny  was  favored   to  make  it  four  consecutive Elks'   winners.  But,  hampered  by  an  infection  in  his  left  forearm,   Florio  was  dispatched  in  the  third  round.  It  appeared  that  that  the  Elks'  streak  surely  would  end.  However,   one  of  the   lesser-known  of  the   club's  better  players  kept hopes  alive  by  somehow  golfing  his  ball   into  the  semis.   Glen  Bishop ,  a  26  year  old  clerk  for  the  Ohio  Auto  Club  making  his  first  appearance  in  a  noteworthy  event,   was  fortunate  to qualify  for  match  play.   Glen  himself  wondered  whether  he  was  being  foolhardy  to  journey  to  Toledo  for  the  event.  He  did  not  think  he  had  any  chance  to  win  and  he  could  "hardly  spare the  time  or  money  necessary  to  make   the  trip."   But  Bishop,  playing   brilliantly,  manufactured  one   upset  after  another!  His  victims   included  the  previous  year's   runner-up  Neil  Ransick   as  well  as    Nelson  Ruddy,  the  1929  medalist.  The  press  suddenly  realized  that  Bishop  was  playing  as  well  as  anyone,   having  recorded  solid  rounds  of  75-72-73  in  his   victories.   In  the  semis  he  faced  Raleigh  Lee,  the  1928  Columbus  District  Amateur  champion,  and  many  time  contender  for  state  honors.   Surely  Glen's  joyride  would  end!  But  instead,  he  stayed  hot  garnering  another  surprise  victory  3  and  2. 

Amazingly,  Glen  Bishop  had  played  his  way  into  the  final.  His  opponent  would be a   young   Toledo  insurance  salesman  Ray  Miller,  who  would  have  the  advantage  of  hometown  support.  The  combination  of  a  showdown   featuring  a  complete  unknown  against  a  local  hero  drew  1000  spectators  to  the  final.  Glen  started  slowly,  and  found  himself  3   down  after  13.  But  by  winning  three of  the  last  five  holes  of  the  morning  round,  he   squared  the  match  heading  to  lunch.

 The  afternoon  18  was  closely  contested  all  the  way.  With  the  match  dead  even  at  the  par  3  14th,  Miller  came  up  just  short  leaving   a  straightforward   chip.  Bishop  put  himself  in serious  trouble  after  an  atrociously  hooked  mid-iron.  His   ball  came  to  rest  40  yards  from   the  hole  in  a  road  rut   on "hard  clay  with  a downhill   lie  and  a  knob  just  beside  it,"  according  to  Dispatch  reporter  Lathop  Mack.  Glen  asked  the  referee  whether  his  ball  was  in  a  hazard,  He  was  told  it   was  not,  but  that  he  nevertheless  would not  be  permitted  to   ground  his  club  on  the  hardpan.  In  Mack's  view,  this  was  "a  trifle  ambiguous  ruling."   Facing  what  appeared  to  be  certain  loss  of  the  hole,  and   the  match's  turning  point,  Bishop  executed  a  pitch   that   would  be  remembered  for  years  to  come.  Laying  back  the  face  of  his  niblick,   Glen  "scooped  the  ball  well  up  and  dropped  on  the  green.  it  trickled  up  to  within  inches  of  the  hole."  Stunned  by  this  improbable  recovery  and  the  accompanying  reversal  of  fortunes,  Miller  came  up  short  with  his  own  chip  and  then  missed  the  tying  putt.   Bishop  was  ahead  for  the  first  time!  He   nursed  his  one-up   lead  to  18  green  where  he  stood  shaking  over   a  12  incher  for  bogey  5  to  close  out  the  tournament.  Upon  holing  it,  Glen  "dropped  his  club  and  turned  around   wearily  to  grasp  Miller's  outstretched  hand."  In  a  gesture  of  fine  sportsmanship,  Miller invited  Bishop  to  play  Ray's  home  club  of  Inverness  the  following  day.  The  most  unlikely  of  Elks'  fine  players  had  been  the  one  to  stretch  the  club's  victory  string  to  four!  Just  to  illustrate   the  depth  of  fine  players  at  The  Elks',  none  of  the  club's  vaunted  Ohio  Amateur  champions  made  it  to  the  finals  of  the  club  championship  that  year.  Joe  Outhwaite  bested  Stark  Frambes  in  the  36  hole  final.

                          Glen  Bishop  and  Ray Miller  '30  Ohio  Am,  finalists

The  Elks'  Ohio  Amateur  victory  string  finally  came  to an  end  in  1931.  But  a  second  Johnny  Florio  victory  in  1932  at  Portage  Country  Club in  Akron   made  it  5  out  of  6  wins.  As  Lathop  Mack  put  it,  the  James  M.  Cox  trophy  "was  on  its  way  back  to  its  old  shelf,  to  be  gloated  over  by  the  members  there  for  another  year."  The  Elks'  greens  committee  chairman  Tom  Dempsey  told  "The  Citizen's  Lew  Byrer  why  The  Elks'  players  enjoyed  such  tremendous  tournament  success.  "The  reason  is  simple  enough.  Our  course  is  so  designed  that  you  have  to  shoot  accurate  golf  to  score  well.  It's  accurate  golf  which  wins.  Players  used  to  our  course,  lined  on  both  sides  by  trees, ravines,  and  other  troubles,  find  it  comparatively  easy  to  score  on  the  more  open  courses  over  which  most  tournaments  are  played."   Byrer's  column  further  noted  that  "holes  1, 2, ,4, 5, 6 ,7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and  17  are  lined  on  one  or  both  sides  by  trees  or  out-of-bounds  hazards  designed  to  catch  the  wildly  sliced  or  hooked  tee  shot... To  score  well  over  the  Elks'  course,  you've  got  to  stay  down  the  middle  or  thereabouts  all  the  time."

While  The  Elks'  men  were  piling  up  their  skein  of  wins,  a  female  player  from  the  club  also   played  great  golf.  Mrs. Thornton  Emmons,  a  championship  tennis  player,  decided  to  concentrate  on  golf  once  she  became  a  member.  She  immediately  became  a   contender  in  the  women's  Franklin  County  Amateur.  She  finally  broke  through  and  took  home  that  trophy  in  1932.  She  captured  the  event  a  second  time  in  1934.

Meanwhile,  Denny  Shute's   pro  career  was  cresting.  While  failing  to  post  a  win  in  his    1928  campaign,  Denny   demonstrated  a  hint  of  things  to  come with  a  stellar  T-6  at  the  U.S. Open.  In  '29, he  broke  through  with  his  first   win  in  the  Ohio  Open.  Denny  really  hit   his  stride  in  1930  recording  three  wins   at   the  Texas  and  Los  Angeles  Opens  and   a  repeat  triumph  in  the  Ohio  Open.  Perhaps  Denny  had  an  unfair  advantage in  the  latter  triumph  as  it  was  staged  at  The  Elks'!   But  the  course  held  up  very well  to  the  onslaughts  of  Denny  and  his fellow  pros.  His  winning  score  in  windy  weather  was  287-  an  average  of  almost  72  per  round.  Anxious  to  capitalize  on  the  success  of  its  hometown  boy,  the  Columbus  Citizen  picked  Denny  to  author  a  golf  tip  column,  "Shooting  with  Shute."  His   May  14,  1930  contribution  stresses  the  need  to  relax  in  the  face  of  adversity.  Denny cited  Bobby  Jones's  calmness  when   a  perfect  spoon  Jones  struck  to  Scioto's  5th  in  the  1926  U.S. Open  (won  by   Bobby)  came  within  6  inches  of  the  hole,  but  then  caught  that  green's   devilish  terraced  slope  and  cruelly  retreated  back  to  the  front  edge.  Most  who  have  played  Scioto  have  been  victimized  by  that  slope  though  few  of  us  are  precise  enough  to  have  hit  the green  with  a  spoon  (three  wood)  as  Jones  did.

A  runner-up  finish   in  the  1931  PGA  Championship  (played  at  match  play  until  1958)  was  just  the  first  of  his  great  performances  in  that  tournament.   From  1933  to  1937,  Denny  Shute  was  arguably   the  best  player  in  the  world.  No  player   matched  Denny's  three  major  championships  victories  during  that  span.  In  1933,  he  took  home  the  Open  Championship  at  the  "Home  of  Golf"  St.  Andrews   on  his  first  trip  across  the  pond,  besting  fellow  American  Craig  Wood  in  a  36  hole  playoff.   In  '36  he   displayed  his  growing  dominance  at  match  play  by   winning  the  PGA  Championship  at  Ross's  beloved  Pinehurst  Number  2   when   he    defeated    the  tour's  longest  driver,  Jimmy  Thompson  3-2  in  the  final.

                            Denny  Shute  accepts  the  PGA  trophy  at  Pinehurst

In  the  following  year  at  the  PGA,  Shute  rallied  from  a  2  down  deficit  with  four  holes  to  play  to  catch   Jug  McSpaden.  He  won  the  match   on  the  37th  hole  to  win  a  second  PGA  at  Pittsburgh  Field  Club.   Denny  was  the  last  player   to  win  two  consecutive   PGAs  until  Tiger  Woods  accomplished  the  feat  over   60  years  later.  His   match  play   success  was  no  accident.  The  three-time  Ryder  Cupper's  combination  of   down-the-middle  shotmaking   with  an   unruffled  demeanor  unnerved  many  an  opponent.  In  all,  Shute  won  17  PGA  tour  events.  His  resume  includes   seven  top  tens  in  the  U.S.  Open.   His  high  water  mark  in  that  event  occurred  in  the  1941  championship  at  sweltering  Colonial  in  Fort  Worth  where  he  finished  runner-up  to   Craig  Wood,  who  thereby gained  a  bit   of  revenge  for  his  finals  loss  to  Denny  in  the  '37  PGA.

Like  his  fellow  competitors  of  the  era,   Denny   kept  a  club  affiliation  to  supplement  the  scanty  purses  available   on   tour.   Upon  turning  professional,  he  was  hired  by  York  Temple-  only  a  couple  of  miles  north  of  The  Elks'.  In  1930,  Shute   moved  over  to  Brookside  Golf  and  Country  Club  to  join  his  father  Herman  who  had  taken  the  club  pro  job  there  after  the  latter's  short  stint  at  The  Elks'.  Denny  served  as  the  club's  "touring  pro"  while  Herman  manned  the  pro  shop  and  gave  most  of  the  lessons.  Thereafter  Denny  became  something  of  a  nomad,  serving  at  a  number  of  different  clubs  in  different  states  (including  Lake  Forest  Country  Club  in  my  hometown  of  Hudson,  Ohio)   until  landing  for  good  at  Portage  Country  Club  in  Akron  in  1945.

Denny  Shute  did  not   have  occasion  to  golf  much  in   Columbus  until  two  tournaments  in  1950.   Denny  entered  the  PGA  at   Scioto,  hosting  its first  major  championship  since  the  1926  United  States  Open.  Now  45,  and  well  past  his  prime,   Shute  had  not  been  a  factor  in  the  event  since  the  30's.  But  he  qualified   for  match  play,  won  two  matches,  and  made   the  round  of  16  before  bowing   to  Jimmy  Demaret.    Encouraged   by  his  improved  form,  he  signed   up  for  a  second  Columbus  event   later  in  the  summer-  the  Ohio  Open  at   rain-soaked    Brookside  Golf  and  Country  Club -  a  club  Denny  had  served  as  pro  18  years  before.   Brandishing  a  hot   putter,   Denny  was  in  the  thick  of  things  with   a  score  of  140  through  the  first  two  rounds.

 Thursday's  concluding  double-round  was  mostly  played  in  a  downpour.  While  conditions  were  not  ideal,   they  failed  to  deter  Denny  who  was  experiencing  the  ultimate  in  "sentimental  journeys."    Accompanied   in  the  drenching  rain  by  wife  Hettie   (a  Columbus  girl  who  he  married  at  St.  John's  Episcopal  Church  in  Worthington  in  1930)  and  daughter  Nancy,   Denny  blitzed   Brookside  with  a  67-69  finish.     His  sweet  50  yard  pitch-in  for  eagle  on  hole  11  of  the  morning  round   kickstarted  his  blazing  stretch  run  culminating  in  his  fourth  Ohio  Open  title.    It  was  fitting  that  Shute's  last   big  win  took  place  in  the  same  locale  where  he  had  launched  his  playing  career.  Unfortunately,  the  course  at  which  his  career  really  took  off-  The  Elks' - was  on  life  support  by  then.


   Years  later,  as  Dispatch  sportswriter  Russ  Needham  was   bemoaning  the  apparent  imminent  closing  of  Elks- Wyandot,  he  recalled  that,  "there  was  a  time  when  Wyandot  was  called  the  'maker  of  champions,'  and  there  may  have  been  something  to the  story.  Its  tree-lined  fairways  did  demand  straight  shooting  and,  its  small  greens  prescribed  accuracy.  Whatever  it  had,  it  produced  champions  year  after  year  in  the  late  1920's.  There  was  Denny  Shute,  Bill  Deuschle,   Johnny  Florio,  Glen  Bishop  and  Mel  Carpenter  among  the  men,  and  of  the  women  there  was  the  late  Mrs.  Thornton  Emmons,  Mrs.  Martha  Deuschle,  and  more  recently,  Sally  Elson,  all  of  them  champions."

Unfortunately,  two  of  Elks-Wyandot's  Ohio  Amateur  champions,  like  the  course  which  helped  "make"  them,  met  premature  demises.  Glen  Bishop  passed  away  in  1953  at  the  age  of  53.  His  obituary  noted  that  Glen  had  fought  back  from  crippling  arthritis  which  had  left  him  bedridden  for  two  years,  but  "had  been  playing  in  the  '70's  again  at  Brookside [which  he  joined  after  Wyandot   closed]  last  summer."  Dwight  Watkins,  a  Brookside  member  since  1948  (and  still  consistently  bettering   his  age  of  88)  remembers   playing  rounds with  Glen  Bishop.  Dwight  still  uses  a  tip  Glen  imparted  to  him.  "He  told  me,  'Dwight,  always  see  the  clubface  hit  the  ball.' " 

Johnny  Florio  died  of  a  heart  attack  in  1966  at  age  58. Winner  of  two  district  and  state  amateurs  by  age  24,  Johnny  ranks   second  to  Denny  Shute  in  the  pantheon  of   Elks'-Wyandot's  array  of  great  players. This  all-around  athlete  certainly  possessed  the  talent  to  turn  professional.  Instead,  he  worked  as  an  account  executive  for  a  Chicago  athletic  equipment  firm  while  continuing  to  compete  in  state  and  local  amateur  events.

Denny  Shute  continued  as  the  professional  at  Portage  in  Akron  until  his  retirement  in  1972.  Although  his   tournament   appearances  were  infrequent,  he  continued  to  work  on  his  game,  and  carded  a  66  to  match  his  age  in  1971.  One  of  the  Portage  members  joked,  "the  only  time  you  could  get  Denny  to  give  you  a  lesson  was  if  you  were  his  partner  and  you  were  two  down."  Shute  died  in  Akron  in  1974  at  the  age  of  69.  He  was  elected  to  the  World  Golf  Hall  of  Fame  in  2008.  Sam  Snead  paid  tribute  to  Shute,  acknowledging  that,  "if  he  had  the  fever  to  play  tournament  golf,  he'd  have  been  the  equal  to  me."

Denny  Shute  and  his  fellow  Elks'  stalwarts  dominated  the  Ohio  amateur  golf  scene  in  the  1927-32  time  period  in  a  fashion  that  was  never  duplicated  by  the  members  of  any  other  club  before  or  since.   The "Roaring 20's"  is  often  referred  to  as  sports'  "Golden Age."  That designation  certainly  applied to  the  golf   played   at   Elks'  Country  Club-  the  "Maker  of Champions"  in  this  halcyon  period.

Acknowledgments:  Interview  with  Dwight  Watkins;  Ohio  State's  "The  Lantern;"  archives  of  Ohio  State  Journal,  Columbus  Citizen,  Columbus  Dispatch  found  at  Columbus  Metropolitan  Library  (special  thanks  to  the  Library's  Jack  Shaw);  Golfweek  Magazine,  2/26/2000;  Golf  News, Pinehurst  Heritage,  August  5,  2013-  "Denny  Shute-  The  Forgotten  Champion."   

No comments:

Post a Comment